TH350 1971 Cutlass

bp042665

hunting nut
yes those are casting hole for fluid drainage but as for the spring issue I would replace with the new updated design they are the same fit if 1 spring broke the rest are soon to follow just my 30+ years of doing this

1971 OldsCut

Great news, thanks. And good call on the springs. It seems like it is rare for these to break but I agree that the rest may be ready to fail too

Stuart Anderson

I was leaning that way with my limited knowledge but am confident they were now with everyone elses opinions and some online pictures and videos I was able to find. Thanks for the help.

Any special steps to clean the case or just coat it with degreaser inside and out, scrub and pressure spray?
Car wash does a pretty good job. Scrape the big stuff off and spray some carb cleaner on it.

miketx

There is nothing wrong with the case and one broken spring on the retainer won't have any effect.

Stuart Anderson

It's still relevant info for someone who may want to know this same thing. Are you going to cry?
The person has been given proper info some time ago. I am not about to cry but you may if you keep beaking off.

Last edited:

NickD

wrench
This was about 50 years ago, when to a wrecking yard when we could to purchased an intake manifold from a 72 Buick for ten bucks with the carb and EGR valve for my 70 Buick that was designed to burn leaded gas. Also got Canadian head gaskets that were thicker to reduce the compression ratio from 11:1 to 9:1 so I could burn low octane unleaded fuel. Because you just couldn't buy high octane leaded gas anymore.

This is when we got that newly formed EPA,

It was 16 years ago completely overhauled the transmission in my 1982 P-30 motorhome, only thing I kept was the case, replaced everything and that mean everything with all original Borg Warner parts, even a larger pan with a drain on it. And got that manual for a couple of bucks for less than 500 bucks. Didn't question why this or that was broke, just pitched it. But now the motorhome is gone, all history.

Would be gathering dust anyway with the China imposed virus, no place to go.

Somehow staying alive seems most important. Hear about going down and getting your butt roasted or up that would freeze your butt off.