The woes of reflashing and right to repair act.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Since I have a day off cuz I have one eye shut due to a work related incident/ got something in eye and now infected swollen shut,. I can still see somewhat out of my left eye and can still type.

Chrylser, first of all really sucks in the aftermarket for this arena of discussion.

After trying a full day yestarday at shop with co workers to guide me to see small print on laptop, could not for the life of me flash a chrysler 200 2013 model year.

Had 2 j2534 interfaces on hand, one is a very reputable drew tech, the other one a chinese autel elite maxi flash, bought tech authority subscription, followed download as per chrylser pdf j2534 document, could never find a way to get to server. Tried sixten times to unistal, re install all god dang stuf they told me to do.

Just to find out that now mopar is pushing, no, not proper term, obligating us aftermarket guys that have balls to reflash, we now have to use wi tech. Hence another tool we have to buy that obviously is being funded by mopar to circumvent right to repair act.

So now, I have to convince my boss to buy another interface for mopar only. Which will not be an easy thing. He has a hard time knowing why we need a pico.

This is one company that is trying real hard to circumvent law by just trying to make it harder for the aftermarket tech to flash their crap.

You don't see that with honda or toyota, bmw is very aftermarket friendly in the coding and flash dept. They are even in bed with autel.

I am frustrated at mopar cuz this is just going to be a down hill battle for them, but, I, as a supposed master tech look like a fool when servers won't recognize their own servers because they don't play ball ball in the J2534 arena like other manufacturers.

Here is a snapshot of what happens.

Plz read the "please be advised"

Tech support said shyte about that. In fact, I think I spoke better english than the guy answering me. :eek::oops:o_O

Screenshot (45).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I also like the last line, (I could not copy paste as the site is on a paid subscription). So I will just fancy around here.

ALL J2534 users are encouraged to start using witech 2.0.

Yeah, that being said, your f ing witech software won't recognize my two previously globally accepted j2534 interfaces. Really, where do I get one and how much does it cost? 3600$!!!:eek: Where does it end?

Cuz a clone one off e bay may just do the thing. But my boss won't buy a clone, and I understand why, he has to put that in budget. And I seem to think he wants legit tools to work with, but cannot justify buying a 3600$ tool for just 1 flash.

This with the advent of ADAS, where does a reputable aftermarket shop start turning clients away for proprietary stuff, which by law should be open source now?

I know this may seem like a rant, and in its form it is. But as an actual end user, the hoops you have to go through are ridiculous.

Here is a link to what mopar WANTS me to buy to flash a post 2010 vehicle from them as of 09/01/2019.

https://www.aeswave.com/mopar-micropod-ii-with-witech-2-0-p9404.html

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This reminds me of the hoover vacuum company trying to beat the client out of a deal cuz they were going under.

Fluster the client enough to not go through hoops to get 2 round trip tickets on a plane to usa and back to england if you buy x vacuum. They may just forget about the promised deal. Nope, clients remember shyte like that. I saw this on a show called "how to go f your self"

They sure sold alot of vacuum cleaners, but went under because some idiot thought offering a deal on flight packages was going to outweigh the inevitable outcome. Nope.

Chrysler is doing the same.

Sales will continue to dwindle if they don't open source like others cuz the client now days is becoming more aware.

billr

wrench
Staff member
My complaint: why is there even a need/desire to "re-flash"??? Did they not finish the R&D before releasing the product? Is the RAM they are using that fragile?

Vehicles keep getting more complex and expensive to both buy and maintain; a trend inspired by us, the consumers that buy products with ever-increasing gadgets, the voters that empower a nanny-government, and the juries that reward ambulance-chasers.