This goes back to an ongoing post, not a problem. adding dual batteries to an E350.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
Make
Ford
Model
e350 Super Duty
Year
Miles
Engine
5.4 liter
I have dual batteries, after market installed In my 2006 e350 Ford Van. A BAT auto inspired project . I have included a schematic . Frame mount battery is activated when ignition is on only, and also charging both batteries. I have a volt gauge connected to the entire van electrical system. I would like to add an amp or volt gauge to the frame mount battery only. I have a new amp gauge but not sure how to hook it up with only a single cable going from frame battery to disconnect switch.

Attachments

That type of amp guage is typically installed inline between battery and alternator. Your charging system may be too "large" for that ammeter to handle. But, you have an unusual setup and so I must ask...what are you trying to monitor?

Last edited:
Website
www.billjohnson.info
That type of amp guage is typically installed inline between battery and alternator. Your charging system may be too "large" for that ammeter to handle. But, you have an unusual setup and so I must ask...what are you trying to monitor?
The condition of the frame mount battery only. The volt gauge tells me about overall condition of the vans electrical system .

Last edited:
Maybe I am asking this question in the wrong way, but...what do you want the guage to tell you? If you want to know "the condition" of the frame battery, a volt meter would be a better choice if you want to know the "state of charge"....(how many volts in the battery).
To easily monitor frame battery voltage, I would suggest mounting a volt guage in a convienient location and wiring it to Pos and Neg circuits of the frame battery (making connections at convenient locations) and adding a momentary pushbutton switch in a convenient location. Push the button, read frame battery voltage, let go of the button, guage becomes inactive. You can check frame battery voltage with engine running or not, key on or off. Just push the button, check voltage.

Last edited:
Website
www.billjohnson.info
Maybe I am asking this question in the wrong way, but...what do you want the guage to tell you? If you want to know "the condition" of the frame battery, a volt meter would be a better choice if you want to know the "state of charge"....(how many volts in the battery).
To easily monitor frame battery voltage, I would suggest mounting a volt guage in a convienient location and wiring it to Pos and Neg circuits of the frame battery (making connections at convenient locations) and adding a momentary pushbutton switch in a convenient location. Push the button, read frame battery voltage, let go of the button, guage becomes inactive. You can check frame battery voltage with engine running or not, key on or off. Just push the button, check voltage.
Great idea, but could I put the new volt meter in place of the dash indicator light minus the inline resister?

could I put the new volt meter in place of the dash indicator light minus the inline resister?
Yes, I think that would work, but the engine would have to be running for the guage to work. If you want to know "How much voltage is left in my frame battery after running my room lights for an hour?"...wiring to the dash indicator wire would be the wrong way to go.

The guage would be active whenever your relay was energized (the relay you set up to send power to the isolator). Describe for me how that relay acts if you turn the key on, but the engine is not started.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
OK, First Thank you once again for your valuable time, and please know that you are appreciated.

1) Key is in Off/Lock position. All current draw is off under hood battery as from the factory.

2) Key is in On position (not started). Relay is activated by power supplied to terminal 86 from fuel injector , a true ignition power source

3) When Relay is activated, power circuit is completed between frame battery, terminal 30 and terminal 87of Relay to positive side of Isolator.

4) Isolator is then activated connecting both frame mount and under hood batteries together (ready to turn key to start).

Please note, I understand that the Isolator activation dash light only indicates power to the Isolator, not Isolator operation.

Last edited:
If your indicator is "on steady" with key on, engine off, then a volt guage should act the same way (with resistor removed or bypassed).

If you wired the guage into the circuit BEFORE the resistor, you could have both guage and indicator, I think.

Last edited:
Website
www.billjohnson.info
If your indicator is "on steady" with key on, engine off, then a volt guage should act the same way (with resistor removed or bypassed).

If you wired the guage into the circuit BEFORE the resistor, you could have both guage and indicator, I think.
The indicator is "on steady" with key on, engine off. I agree that if wire the gauge into the circuit BEFORE the resistor, I could have both guage and indicator,
It may be a few weeks (ok more) before I get a second gauge installed, but I will post back!