Make
Ford
Model
Ranger XLT
Year
Miles
Engine
3.0L
Leaking coolant at the timing chain cover. Does the engine have to be jacked up to replace the gasket. Probably also replace timing chain.

grcauto

Are you sure the coolant is coming out the cover and not the head or intake?

I don't know for sure, the water pump bolts on the cover also. It doesn't leak much, it leaks for a while after I shut it off and then it stops. I could live with this for quite a while but I just hate fluid leaks. Googling this issue has shown that it is a fairly common problem for Ford 3.0L engines after years of service. Mine is an '05 with 196K miles. Just put new tires on it....
Got an estimate from a shop, 10 hours of labor.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I would try some Bar's Leak. That won't help if it is a bad shaft seal on the pump, but is a worthwhile "Hail Mary" play for anything else.

PS: when you searched the 'net and found it is a "fairly common problem", did you find the (fairly common) cause?

It's most likely the water pump. I would pressure test it.
I agree. Or something else. I sure would not be interested in 10 hours of work to replace a gasket that sounds like a gasket that does not even have water behind it.

Suggest more diagnosing, checking, looking and studying . Place some white paper towels around to see where the leak REALLY is.

I decided to bite the bullet and have a shop fix it, I'm 68 and still change the oil and brakes, etc, but didn't want to tackle this. Cost was $1200 to replace gasket, water pump, heater hoses and radiator hoses, and the timing chain. The leak was not the water pump but the plate that the water pump mounts to, which also covers the timing chain.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions and I wanted to tell the final story in hopes of helping someone else on the forum.