Make
Oldsmobile
Model
Delta 88 Royale
Year
Miles
Engine
307ci V8 16V
Hi I have a old school rwd with the 200r4 and the torque converter has locked up on 2nd gear shift since I bought car and stays locked well I dealt with it for a while and sometimes it unlocks rarely but I replaced the tcc solenoid along with new fluid today and the issue remains so now I'm debating just wiring a toggle switch to the brake pedal switch for the lockup so I can assume direct control but I wanted to know if anyone else had this issue on old car s because it is annoying and feels like I'm going to blow parts not to mention rattles the exhaust to hell by putting load on the poor 307 thank you

billr

wrench
Staff member
I will try to summon our trans expert, but he may not respond until Monday.

grcauto

wrench
Hi I have a old school rwd with the 200r4 and the torque converter has locked up on 2nd gear shift since I bought car and stays locked well I dealt with it for a while and sometimes it unlocks rarely but I replaced the tcc solenoid along with new fluid today and the issue remains so now I'm debating just wiring a toggle switch to the brake pedal switch for the lockup so I can assume direct control but I wanted to know if anyone else had this issue on old car s because it is annoying and feels like I'm going to blow parts not to mention rattles the exhaust to hell by putting load on the poor 307 thank you
Does it ever stall when coming to a stop?
You can snip the wire at the trans connector that controls the TCC solenoid. I've done that on many old GM's.

grcauto

wrench
Let me know if you want to do that and need to know which wire. I can get that to you.

JackC

wrench
Yes, I have installed an off/on toggle switch on my Buick. Not for your problem but because I was annoyed when driving on slight up and down hills with the constant lock and unlocking. I don't use those hills much anymore and therefore leave the switch on all the time.

billr

wrench
Staff member
It isn't clear to me if this trans is acting normally, but the design is poor, or if there is some actual problem with the system; specifically the trans innards. If it is "normal" then disabling the TCC with a manual switch is viable. However, if there is a problem with the TCC solenoid or other hydraulics, a switch may be of no benefit.

It should be simple enough to verify, though; just disconnect the TCC wire and see what happens...

billr

wrench
Staff member
No, I don't have a schematic for this vehicle.

billr

wrench
Staff member
If the OP (or you) want me to identify the wires I will need a schematic.

For my own personal purposes... no, I don't need it.