Make
Toyota
Model
RAV4
Year
Miles
Engine
?
The touch screen needs to be calibrated. You have to push everything an inch or so below the label. Of course, that won't work for the bottom row. Is there a way to reset/recalibrate the digitizer? It's frustrating enough not to be able to use the Nav system; impossible to recalibrate the TPMS, etc.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
theres an update for that, google is your friend. Its a patch, kinda like a windows patch you dont need. ;)

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
Well, I've found an update, and the radio is seeing it, but I CANNOT push the "Update Software" button on the screen! The miscalibration won't allow it. Is there a way to select the on-screen button by using the "hard" buttons and dials on the radio head unit?
IMG_2276.jpegIMG_2275.jpeg

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
Well, based on instructions I found elsewhere, I jammed a credit card down in the bezel on the lower right, and finagled it around until it activated the "Update Software" digital button. It's now updated from BU.30.05 to BU.70.27...but the digitizer is still not calibrated properly. I think there's a BU.70.31 out there, but I doubt that will fix it. I'm pessimistic that this is a hardware issue.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is an interesting thread. Keep us updated. It may be helpful for others later.

My english sucks sometimes, but if I am reading right, you squeezed a credit card in a bezel and the touch screen reacted, that is interesting. So that means the screen is still ok to some degree. And the update didnt work, but the newest one not yet installed. Am I reading correctly?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
why would you be pessimistic that this isnt a hardware issue? I only ask these questions as I am not sure I understood the underlying problem, but the nav system needs to be updated before ruling on a hard ware issue. Just saying.

Its like a mother board issue I had the other day, thought the MB was toast, nope, a BIOS update via usb, bug went away.

Cars and trucks nowdays need this sort of attention more and more. That is why I find this thread interesting. thx mike;)

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
This is an interesting thread. Keep us updated. It may be helpful for others later.

My english sucks sometimes, but if I am reading right, you squeezed a credit card in a bezel and the touch screen reacted, that is interesting. So that means the screen is still ok to some degree. And the update didnt work, but the newest one not yet installed. Am I reading correctly?
That is correct. I squeezed a credit card between the screen and the bezel, at the "Update Software" button. It did not work immediately, but after moving the credit card up and down, side to side, vigorously, it finally triggered the update sequence.

The update installed, but it did not correct the problem. And, it's not the most recent update. I can't find a place to download a more recent update. Also, I don't know what the most recent version is.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
why would you be pessimistic that this isnt a hardware issue? I only ask these questions as I am not sure I understood the underlying problem, but the nav system needs to be updated before ruling on a hard ware issue. Just saying.

Its like a mother board issue I had the other day, thought the MB was toast, nope, a BIOS update via usb, bug went away.

Cars and trucks nowdays need this sort of attention more and more. That is why I find this thread interesting. thx mike;)
To my understanding, touch screens work one of two ways. Your phone has a capacitive touch screen....in other words, it senses the minute electrical anomaly that your finger or other conductive material makes, when it touches a certain part of the screen. That's why you can't use your smart phone with gloves on, unless they have the special capacitive cloth on them.

This screen in the RAV4 operates by pressure. You can lightly tap the screen with anything...you finger, the corner of a credit card, etc., and it activates. I'll admit I'm in over my head a bit here.

Maybe a later software version would correct the problem. This unit does not have navigation, and there have been no changes to the system, unless some rogue bit of data could have transmitted via bluetooth used for hands-free phone/text, or music.

What's really odd, is that when you touch the "Back" button in the upper right corner, it works perfectly. But, anything below that you have to touch about an inch below where the button shows up on the screen. So, maybe there's hope for a software/firmware fix yet.

NickD

wrench
Really don't know anything about this Toyota, but on my 2017 Elantra have that update software screen. To use it, have to find setup, WiFi, log into my WiFi account, name and passport, back to Setup, hit the setup button, then it updates everything except the engine computer, only my dealer can do that.

Also tells me to start the engine because the update may take three hours, not a good idea in a closed garage. So I hook up my 13.5V pure DC voltage to the battery that outputs up to 30 amperes. That fools the computer into thinking the engine is running.

It updates five BCM's and the GPS chip. Should do this at 3:00 AM after the hackers go to bed and before normal people get up, download goes much quicker.

Have no idea how people living in an apartment building can do this if the nearest parking spot is three blocks away. Other things they cannot do is clean their own windshield, definitely not change their engine oil. Visited one of my kids living in an apartment building in the guest parking spot, yelled at me for checking my engine oil before leaving. Only took a minute.

NickD

wrench
Do a google search on this subject found several instructions.

"How do I update my 2014 toyota rav4 software?"

Ha, my wife was trying to locate a lake on our GPS, told her, its not an address, its a place, so go to the place window find that Lake and it will take you there. But only does this when the gearshift lever is in park, even if I am driving and she is my co-pilot. But we can do this verbally if we pay Hyundai 400 bucks per year. But my Garmin and her iphone always works.

Ha riding with my son on a busy interstate, granddaughter screamed has to use the restroom, if he pulled off, would never get back on again with factory GPS. They assume only the driver can work it. Fortunately put my Garmin in my shirt pocket, hang on honey, is a rest stop 3 miles ahead.

NickD

wrench
Another interesting search is "Where is the 2014 rav4 made?" Previously in Canada or Japan, now in Kentucky, so is this vehicle really in the "import" class?

My Elantra was made in Montgomery Alabama by Americans, less than 1% of the components came from China, thinking that stop light switch came from there. GM and Ford, up to 30% from China, but US made.

Recall going to my local parts dealer looking for metric bolts, is this all you have? He replied we only deal with domestic vehicles, not imports. Could only reply, you are not keeping up to date, this is for a domestic vehicle.

jigfeett

Check the mounting screws because if they are over tight them the screen might not feel the touch of your finger. I have had nav screens quit working all together and then just loosening the mounting screws allowed the touch to work again.

jigfeett

Oh software and hardware revisions are constantly happening, you might need a new touch screen with a higher rev level.

Keep us posted.