toyota echo 1998

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Cam sensor signal not registering :eek: C am sensor is doing good on DVM!!These cars are built like strong men. I have seen these do 500000km easy,
this one gave me a crank and cam code. Looked at wiring, and think maybe bad ground or pcm. :idea:

Sorry forgot code, P1349 :thx I hate these pcm issues :ROFL

Any ideas 8)?

billr

wrench
Staff member
That P1349 is "VVT System"? That is a pretty vague diag, problem could be the mechanicals/hydraulics of VVT system, oil pressure, control valve, wiring/driver for PCM control of valve; lots of possibilities. Are the CKP and CMP sensors Hall or VR? Testing with a DVM can prove one of those sensors is bad, but can't prove they are good. You would have to be able to test with vibration, heat/cold, varying frequencies, etc. and for an extended period to catch intermittents.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Update, Sorry, may had wrong year, but found the problem, hope this links helps other, seems common for these cars. http://s3.amazonaws.com/2cp-images/question_images/44551/large.jpg

Thx Bill for good reply, this is now fixed, and it only took 15min to change :ROFL

BTW, did this in hail storm, you can bet my ratchet was going quick :ROFL

billr

wrench
Staff member
So that valve spool wasn't shifting? Was the coil open-circuit?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@billr, i think it was so jammed up from bad oil change frequencies and bad oil. Told dude to use better oil. Could see sludge on oil filler cap :idea: Did not want to spend time on this car in question and toyota dealer is down the street from my place, had said valve in hand, as I said before, this seems to be a known issue on these "vvt's" It was not shorted out, just so gunked up :eek:, I just replaced it. Hail was big like peanuts and pelting me, so did not want to screw around with it. Again, thx bill, fixed