Toyota
Model
Paseo
Year
Miles
?
Engine
66kw 1.5
Hello, my Toyota has trouble starting when the outside temperature is above 5 degrees. starts about 10-15 times. When heated, the car will start for the first time. the ECT sensor is replaced by no change. the car only has OBD1 and reports error 22. can you advise where the problem may be?

My english is bad - Google translator ;)

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hmmm, are you sure that your car is OBD1 cuz toyota, at least in canada, was obd2 by 1996. so if your car is from new zealand or something which may have switched to obd2 later than 1996, I am afraid the advice I MAY give MAY be faulty.

So I am going to go with a 1995 since it is obd1.

A fault 22 is the coolant sensor circuit, which makes sense. You say you changed the sensor, so now, look at wiring, pins etc. If all good, ecm. Pretty straight forward back then.

nr_paseo

Hmmm, are you sure that your car is OBD1 cuz toyota, at least in canada, was obd2 by 1996. so if your car is from new zealand or something which may have switched to obd2 later than 1996, I am afraid the advice I MAY give MAY be faulty.

So I am going to go with a 1995 since it is obd1.

A fault 22 is the coolant sensor circuit, which makes sense. You say you changed the sensor, so now, look at wiring, pins etc. If all good, ecm. Pretty straight forward back then.
when I disconnect the sensor, the radiator fan turns on

Ikona Overené komunitou

Mobile Dan

wrench
Perhaps that car has more than one "engine temperature sensor" and you replaced the wrong sensor? Possible sensor needs would be for fuel injection, temperature gauge, radiator fan.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Rockauto listings do show two different sensors for that engine; both a 1-wire and 2-wire. I'm still wondering why this '98 does not have OBD2. What market was the car built for?

Mobile Dan

wrench
Looked up parts for 1998 US car with 1.5L engine and found this...for fuel injection sensor three wires, for temperature gauge sensor one wire, for radiator fan sensor one wire.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I NEED to know what region of the planet this was sold in.

After that MAYBE I can help. But I wont do a wild goose chase if we are looking at a foreign market car which will not align with my data base.