Tranny Problem in a 99 Mazda Millenia..... NOT THE FIRST TIME I BET. HELP PLEASE

MarcusShort

Ok I have a 99 Mazda Millenia 2.5L The transmission has been malfunctioning for the past week and a half. It will go from first to second, have a hard time going in to third and will not think about going into 4th. However it will go in to reverse. It is now currently leaking transmission fluid after I have recently in the last week and a half put 3 qts of fluid in it. The car is currently in the shop with a technician now, however I cannt get a str8 answer from anyone. Everyone wants to charge me $500 bucks to take it out and look at it without even telling me what the HONESTLY think is wrong with my car. I am getting error codes p0734 which means (Improper Gear 4 Ratio) and I am also getting code P1522 which means (VRIS Solenoid No. 2 Malfunction) I just bought this car over 1 1/2 years ago with 75000 miles on it and it is currently at 108000 with NO FLUID CHANGES.... I know thats bad.... but I want an honest answer from somewhere...... DOES MY TRANNY NEED TO BE REPLACED????????????

MarcusShort

FYI... I HAVE KEPT REGULAR OIL CHANGES... JUST NO OTHER TYPES OF FLUID CHANGES :-[

Cheef

King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
Website
www.ultra604.com
Re: Tranny Problem in a 99 Mazda Millenia..... NOT THE FIRST TIME I BET. HELP PL

Marcus,

Sorry that you feel the runaround. Most successful shops use the "RDI" (remove ,disassemble, inspect) method for determining two things:

1. The exact cause of malfunction

2. The exact cost to overhaul and put the transmission in an "as new" state of service.

Unfortunately, todays trannies are not the Turbo 350's of the past. They are too complex. We can get computer malfunction codes to get an idea of the problem, but anyone who gives you hard quotes on the basis of codes (except for an electrical issue perhaps) is either overcharging you based on "worst case" or going to shortstroke the repair.

Your next option would be to purchase and install a factory remanufactured transmission since their charge is "flat rate", ie, they pull yours, install theirs and give a superior parts and labor warrantee, sight unseen of what internally is wrong with yours.

Considering the lack of maintenance, you did well at 108K miles.

Cheef