transfer case 1997 ford explorer

smoken

my suv it pops like bad u-joint so i replaced all still popped and had a jerk to. it's like a tooth off differential pulled covers looked good no contamination .refilled with fluid book called for pulled rear drive shaft drove same thing worst on steep incline install drive shaft pull front drive shaft and axles drive same thing so I'm thinking chain in transfer case drained case all fluid good no contamination no metal refilled am i on the right tr ac any info very greatly appreciated
thanks smoken

crunch

wrench
What mileage and what transfer case and what transmission and engine?
Auto lock hubs?
When and how does it pop.
Turning or take off or heavy pull?

smoken

44-05 transfer case borg warner 4.0 sohc automatic 3spd with overdrive drive about 1 mile it will pop
feels like below feet short jerk like diff slip going up hill ratchet effect turning will pop taking off hard
pops take off easy it does fine

crunch

wrench
Does it do it in all 4W ranges low and high and auto modes.
Any check engine lights?
Or transfer case and or transmission codes?
All 4 tires the same size?

smoken

yes it does it in 4hi 4lo auto all 4 tires are the same size took it to craigs service center no computer codes trans is fine according to computer engine fine

crunch

wrench
I am at a lose on it but if it is doing it in all ranges and with the front and rear drive shaft out.
It may be engine or main transmission.
Check all engine mounts and crossmembers and stuff like thak to.
Maybe Tansmission man has a idea.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
This is an interesting set of symptoms. There is a TSB on just those symptoms and they feel there may be water contamination. The TSB is #97-3-14 from FFord. They caution to verify all the speed sensors be working properly first but basically the fix is drain and fill with Mercon then run it with the 4X motor disconnected and change the fluid several more times. Good Luck, Transman