Transmission Fluid Type 2000 LeSabre

stuzman

Hello Gentlemen:

I have about 20,000 miles on this transmission, (4T65E) and I would like to do a pan drop and OEM filter replacement with a fluid replacement. I was also going to flush the converter by disconnecting the cooler lines and dropping them into a 5 gal bucket as crutch has mentioned. The manual recommends using Dexron III and that is what I'm going to use. However, there seems to be so many different types of fluid out there such as conventional, synthetic and high mileage types (which I know isn't recommended by transman because of the seal expander additives). I was thinking of putting in the conventional type (Valvoline) with a bottle of red lubegard. Could I get your thoughts on what type of fluid you would recommend. Thanks for the help!

Terry

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Use a good brand Dex III fluid. Stay away from the "High Mileage" crap and a bottle of Lubegard is a good thing, The filter could be changed every other service if you are regular about it, if you are going every couple of years then filter it every time and pay attention to what is inside the pan. Some material is normal but try to be aware of what is there so when you see abnormal stuff you will recognize it. Good Luck, Transman

stuzman

Thanks transman... So would you recommend a conventional fluid over a synthetic type?

Terry

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Yes, although you could add dex VI and start replacing it by servicing. Bear in mind though that once you make that commitment you cannot go back. You can add dex6 to dex 3 but never the other way around. Frankly, I don't see the need. Dex3 has always been good and unless the trans calls for different I would stay with it. Transman

stuzman

Thanks for the helpful info transman... I'll just stay with Dexron III conventional with a bottle of red LubeGard. Again, thanks!

Terry