Make
Ford
Model
E350
Year
Miles
Engine
V8
Took my van to the shop where they removed my transmission and sent it out for rebuilding. I got the van back and i could feel a vibration through my seat, on the brake pedal and on the steering wheel. It was only doing it at idle and in drive. It would go away in reverse park and neutral. I also hear a single clunk when leaving a light which happened twice. I drove 30 freeway miles and when on the freeway I could hear a very faint whining noise. When I parked and got out I saw oil and water mixed dripping from the driver side. It was coming from the overflow. The temp gauge was normal. I checked the oil and there was none on the dipstick. When I was driving it seemed like it wasn't shifting when it should shift and it felt like like the engine was out of sync with the transmission. I used almost a quarter tank of gas to go 30 miles. When they were putting it back in they had trouble getting the exhaust back on and one hanger of the 2 hangers where the muffler is would not go on. He turned the flex plate with a flathead screwdriver before putting the cover on till a bolt appeared. He tightened the bolt turned it again and either the same bolt showed up or a different bolt. I know the vibration and whining was not there before. So my questions are could the transmission rebuild be what caused it or the installation be at fault and could the oil and water leaking be caused by anything done wrong during the install or the rebuild? No engine codes showed up before this job only 2 shift error codes. No torque wrench was ever used and I dont know if they tightened anything in a certain sequence

billr

wrench
Staff member
There is no way the trans rebuild would cause problems with how the exhaust is fitting or the fluid leaks, that is entirely due to who did the R & R of the trans. Are there any codes set? The shifting and engine performance will need further info to diagnose, but those problems could also be due to the install. I assume you have already contacted the shop and they refuse to correct the problems or give you a refund; is that correct?

Mauricenme

They are going to check it tomorrow and fix it but what might have been incorrectly that would cause this

billr

wrench
Staff member
Unfortunately my best guess is that the person doing the install was not experienced or skillful enough to do the job. The symptoms of bad exhaust fit, fluid leaks, bad shifting, and bad engine performance are too varied to be just "one little thing". I think several mistakes were made during this R & R; although they may be related in that one led to another, and the problems were just ignored as they accumulated rather than fixing the root cause.

Let's hope this is a reputable shop and they will accept that they put the wrong person on the job and do it over properly. Be firm with them, but patient; it is in your best interest to get this resolved without confrontation. The job probably cost what I would call "significant money" and if either of you take an attitude of "see you in court" you will suffer. You may end up prevailing in court, but will still suffer.

PS: If you post here what they say went wrong, we can comment on whether that seems reasonable or likely. And again, knowing any codes set right now may help. They should be, at least, be capable of reading present codes and willing to provide them to you.

stu

Website
www.81x.com
They are going to check it tomorrow and fix it but what might have been incorrectly that would cause this
You would need a crystal ball. Neither you or we were watching what was being done. Turning with a screwdriver is common in some instances.

bp042665

hunting nut
I was going to mention the mount problem what has happen is there are 2 engine mounts and 1 transmission mount when removing transmission the bad mount will let the motor reposition itself now there is a miss alignment of the centerline of the drive terrain we see this a lot at my shop

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, I am on fence much like my other colleagues here like stu and bill. Some one had a bad day, and yeah, I forgot my crystal ball at home also., ;)

So basically, I am just a parrot and saying as Bill, post the shift codes. They are there. If they dont show up again, we cant help you.

This just sounds like a very dubious install. And any tech knows, you dont need a torque wrench for this, it is pretty self explanatory. I am just guessing, fat hands, hungover and dont give a f attitude. If this is a REPUTABLE shop, they are bidden by law. If this was a under the table type deal, yeah, good luck.

It is hard to help this type of thread. There is not enough detail, the rest will just be speculation, and probably go into weeds.

BP and GRC are probably on ball, but that does not account for all the other stuff you say is wrong. Such as oil and water, which I assume you mean some form of antifreeze?

So yeah, I will check this thread once or twice, if I dont see a repost, I will say we need to wait for op to post back. But sadly, we have been around to long to this is one of those. If he posts back which shift codes, maybe even provide some photos or at the very least post back if shop was a tax job and is the shop certified.

As a consumer, you do have a right to know if the tech working on your rig is certified to do so.

If he was/is, pretty bad day for that guy.

miketx

He turned the flex plate until a bolt appeared? You mean the converter studs? Also if water is coming out of the trans vent, the trans needs to be pulled out and the source of water entry repaired. It also sounds like the shop you took it too doesn't know what they are doing.

Stuart Anderson

He turned the flex plate until a bolt appeared? You mean the converter studs? Also if water is coming out of the trans vent, the trans needs to be pulled out and the source of water entry repaired. It also sounds like the shop you took it too doesn't know what they are doing.
Read the dates on these posts. This is from March.

Stuart Anderson

Ok then, I'll just let you little cry baby fucking asswipes have your little forum all to yourself. You all seem to know soooooo much.
Talk about cry babies. You must have gone to cry baby school. I heard your type does. Why repeat information that has already been submitted to very old posts?