Transmission Treatment

Scotty

I just bought a 91 Civic HB with a auto trans. Im planning to change the trans fluid on it and the second gear in the trans when its cold wont shift into that gear until it makes a " POP " noise. Once warm, its fine all day. One of my friends said to use the lucus transmission treatment in it. What do u think i should use to fix the sticky second gear in the trans? the car is a 91 Honda Civic HB with the ML4A Auto trans 4 spd with the 1.5 4 cyl with 142,000. thanks Scotty

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Have you checked the fluid level? What does it smell like? When was it serviced last? IF I were going to use an additive it would be lubegard "Black" for a Honda. I would probably recommend a service first using Honda fluid only, this trans is drain and fill only. The filter is deep inside the trans and not serviceable. Then I think I would add the lubegard, black bottle only for Honda then see what results you get. Transman

Scotty

im planning to flush it out myself. i was looking for a opinion to fix the sticky 2nd gear in the transmission. i just bought the car yesturday ( 5-19 ). i couldnt get to see the trans fluid since the car was parked in the guy's garage and it wasnt accessable. I will let u know early next week when i get the car to my side of Florida. Its in Crystal River, FL. thanks Scotty ;D

Scotty

I got around to looking at the trans fluid. it looks alittle dark like dirty fluid. it had very light burnt smell to it! it hasnt been changed since new according to the last owner of the car. im planning on the getting it running. the trans fluid is full. should i do the transmission treatment, or just drain and fill it without the trans treatment?? thanks Scotty

civicduty

I am no expert here, but if it were mine I'd just exchange (flush as you call it) the fluid with good fresh appropriate ATF and skip the extra potions.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
If this one were mine, I would try the Lubegard "Black" first and see what happens. If the valve shakes free then do a service on it and continue servicing every year. If it doesn't help then further investigating is necessary. I would check all the basics first though, throttle cable and linkage for freeness (adjustment with gauge), check the manual linkage for adjustment (also very sensitive). That is pretty much all the outside factors for the '91. Good Luck and be safe on this holiday weekend. Transman