Transmission won’t go into drive or reverse

paulo57509

It sounds like you have multiple issues going on.

Yes when put into drive or reverse it’s just revs. No stall
You didn't happen to have the boost valve out of the pump, did you? No reverse is a symptom of the valve sitting in the bottom of the pan.

Sounds like there's a forward sprag issue too (no OD or D)

Edit: Added check ball location attachment, just in case you need it to double check. It might be a good idea to grab an ATSG manual and update handbook as well. You might be able to find them as a free download. Read them cover to cover....twice.

Attachments

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do those check-balls come out just removing the VB from the trans, or does the VB have to be disassembled to get to them?

I'll ask you experts again... is there any kind of electrical problem that will prevent R, or is that purely mechanical/hydraulic operation?

I agree, this is likely to be more than one problem, but I don't want the OP to waste time chasing solenoids or other electricals if the trans must come apart anyway to fix mechanical issues.

PS: OP, by "come apart", that may mean only R&R of the VB; don't get too scared yet. Also, I expect that "boost valve" issue would show up dramatically if you check line-pressure. Do it!

Last edited:

Zmac14

Would it help if you had a proper R and R and disassembly pdf? If so, I can provide that, cuz I lost my x ray vision goggles in fevrier right before all this corona beer thing. .
Yea if you have a good PDF that’d be much appreciated!

Zmac14

So I think since I already have the pan off I’m gonna pull the VB and double check the check balls and then I’ll put it all back together and check the line pressure

billr

wrench
Staff member
Hey you trans experts,

Since the OP is going to have the VB off, are there any defined "air checks" for this type trans that should be done?

bp042665

hunting nut
Ok Billr if you unplug the electrical connector this transmission should still have 3rd and reverse. to answer the question about air testing this if he has the valve body plate off there is a air test plate but I use a air gun with a skinny long nose to do my air check

billr

wrench
Staff member
Thanks, BP, that is what I was guessing. There has to be some mechanical problem if R is gone. Can you guide on doing the air checks, to possibly reveal a gross problem with one of the internal seals? Is it worth the bother?

grcauto

Did he install the seals correctly? If you are not aware of it there's a 50/50 chance it's wrong.

paulo57509

If you're looking for .pdf manuals, go here: https://procarmanuals.com/

Searching for 4L60E will take you here: https://procarmanuals.com/?s=4L60E

You'll want to click on ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) 2012

Scroll down the contents list and locate 4L60E and 4L60E Handbook and download these.

The ATSG manuals may not help you troubleshoot but they're essential to have if you're inside the case. For troubleshooting, the GM service manual should have some kind of troubleshooting table. But it may not be very helpful if the unit was re-assembled incorrectly. But it may point you in the right area to look.

Disable your ad blocker if you have one so that these manuals can continue to be free.

Edit: here's another more general workshop manual - https://procarmanuals.com/gm-4l60-4l60e-thm700r4-transmission-full-workshop-rebuild-overhaul-repair-parts-manual/

Keep in mind that there are some differences between the 700R4 (4L60) and the 4L60E) other than electronic control.

Last edited:

Zmac14

Did he install the seals correctly? If you are not aware of it there's a 50/50 chance it's wrong.
Which seals are you talking about?

Thanks, BP, that is what I was guessing. There has to be some mechanical problem if R is gone. Can you guide on doing the air checks, to possibly reveal a gross problem with one of the internal seals? Is it worth the bother?
And do you have a diagram or picture to show air checks?

grcauto

Which seals are you talking about?
Oh boy? The seals for the pistons have a lip that needs to go against fluid pressure. If you don't install them correctly the piston will not apply.

paulo57509

Hey you trans experts,

Since the OP is going to have the VB off, are there any defined "air checks" for this type trans that should be done?
Typically, clutch pack apply air checks are done at the input shaft passages. This can only be done with the transmission out of the chassis and disassembled.

My understanding is that a test plate that bolts on in place of the VB is required to test through the case. I've never done air checks through the case passages but the attached page is from the ATSG Air Check book. It's worth a try if you can get an air tight seal in the worm hole with an air nozzle.

Seal diagram which shows the direction of the seal lips is also included as an FYI.

Attachments

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
What you are hoping for is to hear a bit of mechanical "thunk" as the various ports are pressurized, not a lot of air hissing or fluid bubbling.