truck keeps dieing on my vacation please help

My father-in-law is driving threw the mountains to come visit. Hes driving a 2001 GMC Sierra 3500. it has a duramax 6.6L diesel motor, with an Allison Tranny. About half way here he blew his fuel injector pump and had to stop and get it fix. about an hour ago i got another text saying the truck had gone into safety mode and dropped from 8 cylinders down to 4 and he could only do 40Kph down the highway.
As it is a Canadian long weekend here he was hoping someone could help diagnose the problem before he took it to a mechanic on Tuesday morning. We have a diagnostic computer we are going to plug into it in the am tomorrow.

any information until then of things we want to watch for would be greatly appreciated.

he is new to the world of diesel motors and bought the truck used to pull his holiday trailer.

What can I say, if he had a Cummins or a Detroit diesel, would be driving 3-4 million miles before any major work had to be done. Automotive diesel consistently has a bad history, only word I can use is crap. Neighbor has a Ford F-350 diesel with the same problems, trying to get his money out of it, but seems to spend more time in the shop and now I see he is having major body rust problems as well.

Buy these things thinking they would get a good payback with fuel cost, but get robbed to death in repairs. Father-in-law should have done is homework first. Also electronic controlled that can also be the problem.

Wow NickD,
I thought this forum was to try to help people out. Not slam them for the type of vehicle they have. I have not been on this forum for some time but I have recieved some very useful suggestions to problems in the past. Has Bat Auto changed that much?
StanH

the starting point would be to access the PCM get the code or codes that are forcimg the 'limp mode"
If you have a scanner - look at the freeze frame info... Get those codes and post them...

You could add some history especially the recient 'pump' issue...
I will prep you that fuel injection - its always CHECK FUEL PRESSURE.

thanks for the help Kev2. we'll try plugging in the computer today and I'll post the codes we get.

As for the pump issue, hes had the truck for maybe 3 weeks. Unfortunately i don't think a detailed history of the vehicle is possible. I'm just going off of what he told me which is probably what the mechanic told him.

Again thanks for the help.

So we plugged in the computer and the error code it spit out was P0093. If anyone know what this means that would help us a lot.

We let the truck sit over night and the check engine light turned off and everything appears to be back to normal. We're still wanting to get it looked at before he goes threw the mountains back home.

They also had the a/c on internal to just recirculate the air and the intake vent got plugged by a purse or plastic bag so we think it could of just heated up the a/c more than it liked.

Thanks again for all your help guys. Really appreciate it

a fuel pressure issue.... common for this engine, I will get more details BUT its sunday.

Some notes pop up - be sure to check engine oil for excess fuel very unlikely but prudent to mention.
As mentioned what pump was changed and WHY?
There is a service bulletin about colapsed kinked hose - see attachment...
Of course the obvious fuel leaking - filters clogged?
But without a fuel pressure gauge and bidirectional scanner* I am short on ideas

*reading what sensor is seeing

Attachments

As per my original post it was the fuel injection pump. It was replaced because the last one died on them. When they had the pump replaced the mechanic checked fuel pressure and said everything was where it should be. Could it be possible the alarm never got reset when they replaced the pump?

P0093 is a fuel problem and will put the engine in limp mode, can be anywhere from the fuel tank, dirty fuel filter, low pressure fuel pump, around 40 bucks here, injector pump, not cheap, around 1,200 bucks, around here, injectors, injector O'rings, injector hoses, injector balance and even bad diesel fuel. With injector pulse pressures around 1,500 psi, really need specialized test equipment.

Apparently, the new injector pump solved a problem if it wasn't running at all, how many miles on this thing? Or maybe just water in the fuel.

Sorry about my original post on this subject, just seen too many people get ripped off on these. But no simple solution that I know of. Can also be a corroded connector someplace. Those that just threw parts at it went bankrupt. Have to find the problem.

This may also be the problem ignition switch that powers both the fuel and injector relays that can also be the problem as well. Ignition switch, well prefer to call it the start switch has multiple contacts that get dirty. These circuits are responsible for energizing both the fuel and injector pumps that would also result in that P0039 with a rather erratic behavior.

Gus

wrench
RED FLAG....

When a vehicle has a problem, just before you buy it.....the dealer selling this told you about replacing this first?

Then to go on a trip is asking for trouble....

OP also stated his father-in-law was pulling a Holiday trailer. Was it something like this?

Made the same mistake with my wife pushing me for a long trip in that motorhome we just purchased, got thing for just 1,500 bucks than the price of the new batteries and tires just installed. And didn't even get a chance to check everything over. Did get the engine all tuned up and checked out, but never made it back to the transmission. Of all things that line broke crossing a bridge with no side road. Had to drive it another 1/3 of a mile with the transmission slipping like crazy. But somehow managed to make it home, some 400 miles, Lucas seal conditioner did that, and found some very friendly people in a small town to drive me around.

When buying a used vehicle takes me at least a month to go through it, that includes removing the entire interior so only my own dirt collects in there.

Wonder if that OP is ever coming back?