TSB 09-03-97 1994 Dodge Viper

coony

I have a 1994 Dodge Viper RT/10 8L V10 that appears to be leaking oil from the dipstick. As I was searching to find the original part number (5245080) for the Mopar Oil Level Indicator, I came across some information referencing that there was a technical service bulletin 09-03-97 or 090397 indicating a new part number for the oil level indicator (new #05245899) and the oil level indicator tube (new #05245898). It also suggested replacing both the indicator and tube at the same time. Would anybody happen to have a copy of this full TSB?

Thank you!

coony

I received the TSB now. I thought I'd post it here in case someone else is in need of it!

TSB 09-03-97 Dipstick & Tube Service Applications.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
are you putting 9 litres of oil now as per instructed, if so, yeah need NO new part #

I know this may sound condescending, but that is not really a tsb, it just a internal memo to remind techs to advise client of litre change part number change, You will notice very few tsbs,

Most ppl who buy these cars do thier own thing, so thins is a tsb to advise. Its not a problem with the car per sey

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I used to work up here in quebec back then for a moper and saw a few of these. As techs, we would scoff. Its fine. ;) Just swap the leaking part, no need for a new tube

Marcel Aubut had one, he sold the nordics before he sold his red and blue vip^^er

coony

are you putting 9 litres of oil now as per instructed, if so, yeah need NO new part #

I know this may sound condescending, but that is not really a tsb, it just a internal memo to remind techs to advise client of litre change part number change, You will notice very few tsbs,

Most ppl who buy these cars do thier own thing, so thins is a tsb to advise. Its not a problem with the car per sey

Whether it's a TSB or just a manufacturer communication, all I was looking for was part numbers. For some reason, it appears the dipstick (I only referred to it as an oil level indicator as that's how it's listed in the parts catalog) and the tube were being replaced with the shorter ones in that TSB/communication. I really don't care which one I have as long as it doesn't leak! Original part #'s, which are what I have, are 5245080 (dipstick) and 5245085 (tube).

It appears that the only way I'm going to stop any leaking from the dipstick is to get a new one. Since new parts are hard to find, I may need to replace the tube if the shorter dipstick is all I can find (which I have found a new one, but not the tube). If I can locate a new dipstick that works with my current tube, I will just remove that and replace the o ring.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is the tube damaged (squashed or cracked) in some way that causes the leak?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I wont and will get into this, but this regards race applications, are you racing it or not, regardless, same applies, engine is fine with 8 - 10 litres.

I am happy you are actually responding, this way I know you are serious. I have a buddy of a buddy who might have a race dipstick

;)

o ring is on you

coony

Is the tube damaged (squashed or cracked) in some way that causes the leak?
No damage I can see. Only small amounts of oil coming from the top of the dipstick after driving. Which is why I'm thinking a new dipstick is needed. I'm guessing there's an o ring that can't been seen or replaced in the top/handle of the dipstick.

coony

I wont and will get into this, but this regards race applications, are you racing it or not, regardless, same applies, engine is fine with 8 - 10 litres.

I am happy you are actually responding, this way I know you are serious. I have a buddy of a buddy who might have a race dipstick

;)

o ring is on you
No racing...just driving to fast!

I'm looking into purchasing the dipstick that's in the communication above that I came across (as long as the company actually has it like their website states). I'm hoping it's the same length as the one I have. I'm not sure what the point of changing the part numbers is unless they are different lengths. If its not the same length, I will have to keep figuring something out or find the tube that's listed in the TSB/communication.

Would the race dipstick work with my original oil dipstick tube? I guess I'm not sure what a race dipstick is and how it's any different then a regular dipstick.

Thanks for the responses!

coony

So I pulled the oil tube off and it turns out there's no o ring for it. I looked it up online and it appears there never was on. The suggestions I came across was to apply high temp RTV to the tube and reinstall. I do not believe that oil is coming from there. The problem is at the top of the tube with the dipstick. I see where oil is spraying from there. My assumption is that there is too much pressure in the engine at high RPMs due to the supercharger. I sent a message to Roe Racing to get their advice. I believe I have enough breathers installed on the valve covers, but there has to be something additional I can do. Unless a new dipstick would have a tighter fit when installed, I'm now thinking that it won't help replacing it. We will see how they respond.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Breathers, huh? I guess this engine has been modified from the stock system with PCV. Are those breathers open to atmosphere, or going to the intake ducting somewhere; any chance the crankcase is getting pressurized by the supercharger?

Mobile Dan

wrench
1622249130296.pngIf your dipstick / tube looks like this and you want a better seal at the top, you might be able to slide a section of rubber tubing (hose) over the top part of tube to create a tight seal when the dipstick is pushed over it. If the hose rested against the support bracket, the bracket would keep the hose from sliding down when you pushed the "bell" of the dipstick handle over the top 1/4" of it.

Mobile Dan

wrench
1622249940636.pngDipstick is close to the oil fill cap. Looks like same design as in my previous post. I wonder if oil sprays from crankshaft into bottom of dipstick tube....with enough force at high RPM to travel up to the top if the tube.