Make
dodge
Model
ram 1500
Year
Miles
Engine
5.7 hemi
Turn signal issue. Just started doing this: turn signals work fine when lights are off, but when in any light mode( park or regular headlight), they blink faster, and a light comes on in the dash saying "lamp out". I've checked all the bulbs, and all the elements are working. I just talked to a friend who has a ram 3500 and his is doing the same thing. HELP!!

grcauto

Does it have the trailer wiring?

gullythumper

Yes, but with no trailer connected, what would it matter? The system wouldn't detect any lamps without a trailer connected, unless there's a wiring issue?

jigfeett

There is a lot of information about this just way to much.
Could be a overheated light socket.
$.02
Please post the fix when it is complete.

billr

wrench
Staff member
"... unless there's a wiring issue? "

Yeah, that one. Trailer wiring is notorious for shoddy components/install, even if it was added to the vehicle by a dealer. The factory wiring harness should be good; but that last three feet or so, from the harness connector to the bumper connector for the trailer, is where I would be suspicious.

In this case, however, the symptoms suggest that there is a ground problem. You could check that by reading voltage from one of the lamp ground wires to the battery ground terminal; it should be virtually 0V.

jigfeett

The system or module is expecting to see a certain amperage and does not, or over amperage. Over amperage will throw the fault but the affected light should go on then out and a faulty socket can cause that.
This is like if you place LED lights instead of incandescent and the module does not get reprogrammed for LED lights.
When the problem happens have a person look at each light that should be on. I'm sure you'll find some light is not working, that should be on.

gullythumper

The system or module is expecting to see a certain amperage and does not, or over amperage. Over amperage will throw the fault but the affected light should go on then out and a faulty socket can cause that.
This is like if you place LED lights instead of incandescent and the module does not get reprogrammed for LED lights.
When the problem happens have a person look at each light that should be on. I'm sure you'll find some light is not working, that should be on.
I've gone over the entire lighting system and every lamp is working as it should. All the lights are new

billr

wrench
Staff member
License lights are generally turned on at the same time as the front and tail marker lights, which are also generally closely related to turn signals and brake lights, They (license) probably share some circuitry with the turn signals.

Have you tried disconnecting the trailer stuff, all the way back to the factory harness?

Do you have a schematic you can post? You may have to buy a manual, like Chilton's or Haynes, to get that; but we can't help much without a schematic.