Under $600 OBDII scan tools. Are they worth it?

jasonn20

I am about to buy me a a scanner for home use but it is going to be a snap-on mt2500. I can diagnois anything with it. i have seen them selling around the $600 mark. The only thing it does not have is an occiloscope but thats fine with me.

autodr

Will the old brick finally pull mode$6 data or is that only on the modis?

jasonn20

No I guess it does not have mode 6 either but still a nice scanner i think.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Hey autodr, I am very seriously considering the autoenginuity setup (and a used toughbook). Do you still recommend the AutoEnginuity? I considered going cheaper with carcode, but since they don't respond to questions via email, or answer a phone, I'm not interested.

Thanks for your previous input about scanners.
Dan

autodr

I do. Since that thread first started, I expanded my AE. Then I only had the Ford, GM, and toyota enhanced expansions. Now I have add Chrylser, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Hyundia/Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, and Porche. I also have GM of Europe. I plan to add thier VW/Audi, and Mercedes soon.

"Love" is a strong word. Lets say really like alot instead. I would "love" it if they would speed the data refresh rate up to the speed of OE level tools. But if all I had ever used was aftermarket tool before, I really wouldn't know the difference or what I was missing. Same with some of the 'tests"... AE is not full OE level like they (all tools really try) to claim. Like, sure, I can program security (PATS) keys on the Ford but can't on any other make.

Other things, like so far... it looks like i only have enhanced coverage on Freelander and not Range Rover or other Land Rover lines. :'( It was Enhanced powertrain only on the Freelander at that. But, I hooked to a BMW M5 and got full body access. But on second thought... HEY! I have enhanced coverage on a Landrover, BMW, and other Euro cars like Porche for dirt cheap! :D

AE is a little hit-or-miss when it comes to coverages. One car you hook to, like a 2001 Maxima, thinking you should have Enhanced... and it ticks you off to find all you have is Generic powertain only. :mad: But then hook to a 2002 Altima and you have Enhanced powertain and can see things like cam timing advance. :D

One car you hook to with the enhanced expansion and you are like "WTF?" :'( Then the next you hook to, you are absolutely jumping for joy at the full-body access to controllers you'd never imagine such a low price would let you into. :eek: Our body shop here (Ford dealership) repairs all makes. And I see all-makes from the used car lot. I get them from the body shop with Air Bag lights on. So far, everything they've sent up here, mostly Hondas, GMs, and toyotas, I have at LEAST been able to code and errase Air bag modules. Some had very helpful data PIDs available.

When the shop's floater VCMs (interface module for IDS) are all in use, I use AE in here as a back up tool on Fords. Full body access accept for MS-CAN controllers. Which kinda sucks since I am in a Ford dealer. But when I am outside the dealer, I have yet the need to access a Ford MS-CAN controller.... but that day is coming. But you still get HS-CAN controllers.

The Mode $6 is great on AE, but sometimes takes a while to load. I mean up to 4 minutes on some vehicles. Then sometimes it is loading the second you go the the MODE$6 screen and loads in less than 10 seconds.

Instead of a tough book. Check out Malmart's ASPIRE ONE. Is is a mini laptop with a 160gig hard drive and still runs XP. That is my next laptop. I've been using Dell Latitudes and ready to switch. My brother got one of those mini laptops. They go for 250 to 300 new at Walmart and Sam's club. The price goes up and down every couple of months. They are compact, and feather weight, and seem to hold up good.

I don't see why to spend the money for a tough book, when all of my laptops have crashed from software issues, not physical issues. A tough book is no tougher against a trojan, worm, and other crap than any other PC. It just costs you more with a bad email burns one of those up.

jasonn20

Hey danica I do not know if yo have heard of this site before but they have good deals on computer stuff. it is nice to read the reviews before buying. I have bought a couple hard drives for dirt cheap compared to wal-mart prices. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

jasonn20

Hey autodr, I have been think on buying a mt2500 with the programmable cartriges for around 700 to 900 dollars. Do you think this is worth it compared to other scanners there making now?

autodr

The brick is an all around good scan tool. An icon in the industry. Seems like if you have an up to date brick with all the enhancments, then you have a little something for everything on the road.

I haven't used one for the last 5 years. But, I used it for 10 years prior. Personally, I hated that updates usually consisted of back-fill, at those prices, of access they failed to provide on the prior release. Any tool's next update is loaded with back-fill and bug fixes, but with snappy, and other hand helds, you were buying the next one at full price of an expansion.

I also recall not being able to monitor PID data while using bi-directs on a brick. Big draw back for me.

If I owed a brick, I'd make use of it. But for me, I can't see buying one