Ford
Model
Escape
Year
Miles
138 000
Engine
2 litre ecoboost
Hello. I have a 2017 Ford Escape SE ecoboost.

there seems to be a worsening issue with my Ford Escape.

when driving along, and usually below 2000 RPM, if there is a slight incline in the road, the vehicle will slightly rev up and down very quickly. There is only a slight fluctuation in the RPMs (maybe from 1500 to 1550). The fluctuation is accompanied by a rattle, sometimes worse than others. Whenever this rattle occurs, the intelligent 4 wheel drive is telling the rear wheels to engage.
Only until the vehicle drops back a gear or two and the RPMs go well above 2000 does the rattling and the fluctuation in RPMs stop.
I have spoken to multiple mechanics at numerous dealerships and garages. They all say the same thing. If there is no code, there shouldn’t be anything wrong.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

grcauto

wrench
Nothing to go on. Could be anything could be nothing.

billr

wrench
Staff member
My guess is that this could be a trans issue I will summon BP (our trans expert); he often looks at only Trans forum.

adamB253

Thank you for the response. It seems to be something to do with the transmission. I believe it only ever happens when it’s in 6th gear, for whatever reason. The transmission is automatic, with the option to manually shift (with the paddles on the steering wheel). When it is struggling on an incline, it is always when it’s in 6th. I can either give it more gas, or drop it back to 5th, and that stops the bucking.

grcauto

wrench
Only in 6th gear. Sounds like the converter locking and unlocking.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is there any easy way to disable the TCC to verify that s what is happening (a fuse to pull or connector to disconnect). Otherwise, TCC operation should be visible in live-data.

bp042665

transmission guy
ok have seen this only a few time but if you have a good scanner you can go and turn off lock up out of 5 2 where converter issue's and 3 was the wave plate in the drum cracked but with it only acting up on a incline i would suspect converter