Vehicle shuts off while driving, then restarts after placing in park. Will repeat if going over 50mph.

BC

Make
Lincoln
Model
MKZ
Year
Miles
Engine
2012 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 2.0

Issue: While driving at highway speeds (70 mph) and after 1/2 hour of drive time the car will completely shut off and a red warning light will illuminate to immediately pull over safely. Once stopped and with parking lever in park, car will restart. It will not restart while coasting to pull over, it has to be completely stopped and in park.

Once restarted, car will repeat this cycle if driving over 50 mph. If I stay under 50 mph car will run longer before doing this again. If over 50 mph, it will immediately shut off again.

There are no check engine lights on so I'm thinking no codes. There is a reservoir for the battery and I did notice a very small of residue on the top cap. Fluid level is still at normal range.

Also, I checked the battery with a carbon amp tester and it passed with flying colors so vehicle battery is good.

Thank you,
Conk

billr

wrench
Staff member
Get it scanned for codes, and make sure they understand that you are having distinct issues, so they do a thorough scan for all pending codes and hidden codes.

BC

I got a fairly decent deal on an autel mp808 the other day and so plugged it in and here's the codes.

1.) P0562:04-28 System Voltage low. Battery check was good (carbon amp tested) So could be alternator issue?

2.) P0A3E:98-28 Generator Inverter Over temperature.
So looking at the event on shutdown temp got to 117 Celsius or 242.6 F

I think I'm heading in the right direction with looking at the inverter pump as cause.

Any thoughts? I ordered a pump and will replace. I'll post back results.

I'm new to this Autel, is there a method to testing the coolant pump with this? I've been googling and playing around a bit, but unable to find hot switches.

Thank you,
BC

Last edited: