Ventilation in gas stoves

eddieguy

My moms gas stove has so much heat coming through the vents in top front of stove that it makes the door handle real hot to the touch. Vents line up with door handle so heat coming through makes hanle hot.

I understand that the vents are there purposely by design as well as the ones under the door but they didnt have this kind of heat coming out before. I have not felt under the door yet but i know theres some serious heat coming from the ones facing the door handle. So trying to figure out why such an excessive amount of heat coming through vent.

Any ideas as to why would be appreciated

eddieguy

I can move the rubber seal inside with my fingers like its not very stationary but I'm not sure how big a deal that is since the ventilation in the bottom of the door allows air into it purposely anyway. I can't tell what really ever held that Rubber seal in place anyway it's not like there's any adhesive I could feel .it's not torn anything but I can move it with my fingers. I can try and take pictures of anything that's asked of me

eddieguy

Yeah im probably using the wrong terminoligy again. I still call a refrigerator an ice box. Will these pictures I posted suffice I try to get some good ones. I stuck a meat thermometer inside one of those vents that is aimed towards the handle on the door and it got up to around little over 200 degrees and that's the door handle which I would say that's excessively hot I've been meaning to get one of those infra type thermometers maybe I will soon maybe I can aim that at the handle and see what it's reading

eddieguy

Yeah im probably using the wrong terminoligy again. I still call a refrigerator an ice box. Will these pictures I posted suffice I try to get some good ones. I stuck a meat thermometer inside one of those vents that is aimed towards the handle on the door and it got up to around little over 200 degrees and that's the door handle which I would say that's excessively hot I've been meaning to get one of those infra type thermometers maybe I will soon maybe I can aim that at the handle and see what it's reading
20210331_223828.jpg20210331_233540.jpg20210331_224644.jpg

Attachments

eddieguy

Maybe i shoul add incase its not clear enough in pics that pic with thermometer is inserted in vent behind handle. Third pic is of vents under the bottom of door. Last pic is of rubber seal and of course its black on black so hard to see.

Now this is with temp set at 425. Probably a pizza like setting and that would be less than 18 min

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
Every stove I have ever owned vented out the back of the stove behind the burners. I think you have a blockage in the proper venting and the heat is going in the wrong place trying to get out. The top of the stove is designed to be lifted up. Open it up and look for the vent in the rear

billr

wrench
Staff member
I agree with dabunk, there should be a vent out the back; but what are those louvers behind the handle for??? That looks strange to me!

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
I agree with dabunk, there should be a vent out the back; but what are those louvers behind the handle for??? That looks strange to me!
Usually those louvers are to keep the door handle cool to the touch. It allows the radiant heat from inside the door to vent not making the outside of the door boiling hot

Mobile Dan

wrench
Make sure the louvers and the lower vents flow well.

Put a small dab of peanut butter on several spots on the door seal. Close the door very gently. Open the door to see what happened to the peanut butter.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask, Dan... does that work well for setting up differential gears too?

eddieguy

Yeah i know it looks like louvers but its just for looks and they are not actually open they just have the appearance of louvers but under the louvers there are actually events and that's what I have my thermometer stuck in sounds like I need to look some things over a little better I'll post back

eddieguy

Usually those louvers are to keep the door handle cool to the touch. It allows the radiant heat from inside the door to vent not making the outside of the door boiling hot
I will do a little more thorough looking over what I'm having a hard time Computing is if those vents are purposely designed and they do appear to be why would they let the heat Escape directly onto the back of the handle the very thing that you're going to touch with your hand. The ones on the bottom of the door make more sense to me because they're directing heat away from any area that you would touch. Yes I do agree there does appear to be some kind of stoppage I guess or some kind of abnormal flow so I'm going to try to look it over a whole lot better and look to the back for ventilation as you said

eddieguy

I will do a little more thorough looking over what I'm having a hard time Computing is if those vents are purposely designed and they do appear to be why would they let the heat Escape directly onto the back of the handle the very thing that you're going to touch with your hand. The ones on the bottom of the door make more sense to me because they're directing heat away from any area that you would touch. Yes I do agree there does appear to be some kind of stoppage I guess or some kind of abnormal flow so I'm going to try to look it over a whole lot better and look to the back for ventilation as you said
If I could get a better picture you would see that what appears to be louvers are not actually louvers the stupid Handles in the way so it's hard to get a good picture in there

eddieguy

If I could get a better picture you would see that what appears to be louvers are not actually louvers the stupid Handles in the way so it's hard to get a good picture in there
Im going to snoop around some more but here is what i hope is a better pic of the louver thing you mentioned and that looks like thats more for form than function, however you can see one of the vents as well underneath that and thats where i had my thermometer poked in.