Visual inspection PRICELESS!!!

jigfeett

A friend has a van, not worth mentioning the type Ford I think
Has active lean code 0171, I think he has been battling it for months yes months

I guess a few repair shops too
They were charged for diagnostics and quoted several hundred dollars for a fix.

I ask what have you done? He says, I checked everything!!!!
Scanned it cleared codes they come back
Had it at shop etc. etc. etc. You know the gig.

I says well I have a little time let's take a look.

Pop the hood can't see anything from there.

Pull the inside cover off
Shine light in there HHHHMMMM

Wait for it!!!!!!

PCV valve popped out of grommet, hard to see, harder to get hand in there to clean oil off and pop it back in

Visual inspection PRICELESS!!!!!

My friend thinks I'm a master, No I just have a bit of common sense

Last edited:

JackC

wrench
Nice going.

I seems from what I hear that the new young techs want to visualize a scanner or laptop instead of old fashioned eyeballing.

jigfeett

I agree, if they can't see it on the scanner then it must not be a real problem. Also the shops aren't allowing a lot of visual time these days.

Stuart Anderson

Guy brought in a Rambler making a hell of a noise. I listened. My suggestion. Stone caught in the flex plate cover. 15 minute fix. Guy said thanks and left. Came back a week later and asked would I repair it. Yup. Up on the lift. 4 small bolts. Remove the cover, stone fell out. Witness mark on the plate from the convertor bolts. Put it back together. Down on the ground, fired up, purred like a kitten. Guy said he had taken it to other places and they went from rod knock to broken convertor. Guy wrote the local newspaper extolling my honesty.

jigfeett

Oh I could imagine
I had a similar one, except flexplate bolt backed out after a trans swap guy just could not make the connection 1 minute fix.