VW Beetle stuck in 3rd Gear

crazeehorse

i now have a 2003 VW beetle that was wrecked in front. it had to have a new radiator, ac condenser, & several body parts. after all assembly, the automatic trans. is stuck in 3rd gear. one mechanic has checked with his computer, & says it is " not getting fire to the transmission" . i'm guessing he means control voltage, from the computer. possibly a connection broke during the wreck? i don't know yet. i will not get the car, till tomorrow. my first question is, should'nt it be stuck in first? instead of 3rd. the other question is, where would be the best source to get info. on troubleshooting, & service checks required to make repairs. i hope i don't have to go to the dealer for this. has anyone had any dealings with a critter like this one?

crazeehorse

sorry wrong year !

the Beetle is a 2000 model, i think it has a 2.0 liter fuel injection engine

crazeehorse

well i found a break in the shift cable , about 3 inches above where it goes through the transmission body . it has at least 2 of the leads broke. after it goes through it transforms into a printed circuit foil. it looks like it is all made together, so i called the dealer about the part, 65.00 for the cable, 265.00 for the printed circuit foil.so i have to look again to see if the two come apart. i hope when it broke, it did'nt short anything out! this trans had what looks like gear oil in it does anyone know if this is normal? i thought dex III.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Excellent work! This will caues no end of problems and needs to be repaired. The fluid is NOT dex. This takes a special fluid and will not work properly with anything else.
The trans will go into "limp" with no power and yes, it is third gear and max line pressure. The fluid is darker and will have an odor right out of the bottle. Good luck and keep us posted, Transman

crazeehorse

the trans is an ( 01M ) it appears, that the printed circuit foil is soldered to the shift cable,it's about a 10 pin connection, on a bulkhead type fitting, inside the trans. i have an electronic pro that can do the soldering job. the problem that i have is, i can't for the life of me, figure out how to remove the printed circuit foil connectors from the solenoids in the valve body, otherwise i may have to unsolder & resolder under the car. i can buy the atsg manual for apx. 20 dollars. in the meantime, i hope someone can tell me how to get the 265.00 part off without damaging it. it should be simple,& i consider myself to pretty good at this kind jobs. but no, oh well, welcome to my life ???

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
If you can avoid removing the connectors to the solenoids then please do! They get very unhappy after removal. Do the soldering under the car. Transman

crazeehorse

thanks for the good advice, Transman, i think you are right about that . if this is all the problem i have, then after i make the repair, will the computer need to be reset or anything of that nature, & will i have to get the fluid from the VW dealer?

crazeehorse

ok, i guess my luck has run out. i now have to buy the printed circuit strip, or foil, which ever you want to call it, it costs 231.00. it burned one of the circuits into, i guess when wreck occured. then i need the shifter harness, which is a 10 pin,X2 connector with about 24 inches of ten conductor flat ribbon, that is folded in half & shrink wraped, so you can thread it through the transmisson body.it costs 63.00. then i need ( i think 3 or 4 liters) of Special trans oil @ 17.99 each. the total for all parts, shipping, & sales tx. is 422.67, ouch :eek:. the VW tech told me that the new parts connect without soldering. so that makes me feel a little better. i see what you mean about the connectors on the valve body solenoids. Transman , i used a blade on my feeler gauge to slip in & unlock the tabs, it worked quite well. but i can't take credit for the "special tool" the VW tech gave me that idea. oh yes, & dont forget the service manual for an 01M trans. 23.00 maybe tomorrow will be a better day!

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Sorry to hear of your bad luck, but it still beats replacing or overhauling this trans, looking at the bright side. Thanks for the tip on the feeler gauge, I didn't think to tell you that one but it's the install that can be the nightmare on used ribbons. They tend to fold and displace on installation, you should be fine with a new one. Try your best not to manhandle this too much, they are VERY fragile. Keep us posted as you go, Transman

crazeehorse

parts on the way

i got the parts ordered today for the 2000 VW Beetle 01M transmission. the dealer is not haz-mat certified, so they can't ship the transmission oil. i'm having a friend go by the dealer, when he goes to the VA on monday. the owners manual has no info about the transmission. i need to know how many liters of oil it takes to refill the transmission, after droping the pan. does anyone know, or have access to this info? i have a service manual ordered, but it won't be here till tuesday, or later. i'm pretty sure 4 liters will do it. i don't know why the dealer could'nt tell me, but he said he had no info on it. it has a plug in the pan , that has a tube sticks up in the pan, so as to keep the level of oil about 1-1/2 inches with the plug removed. it make me think you would fill the transmission till the oil runs out the plug. do you know if this is right? Transman? if this method is correct, i can fill the pan,with another liquid till it runs out the plug hole, then i could measure & find the amount that way, & add a liter over for what ran out after the pan was dropped. does this sound like a sound method ???

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
You are correct, fill until the fluid comes out with engine running. I fill it first, then start the engine and continue filling. I think it only holds 8 quarts from empty, so 4 litres should be enough on a pan drop. Transman

crazeehorse

well, another happy ending. i installed new part, did'nt need the harness after, so that saved 60 some odd dollars. i still had the check engine light on, & no shift. i drove to advance auto parts & had them erase the codes, & reset. like magic she's running great & shifts smooth. this car belongs to a fellow vet. & all around great person, who is down on his luck a little. but with a little luck, & about 500.00 , as opposed to 2200.00 , (estimate from the only shop willing to look at it), he's back on top again. there's only one shop within a 100 mile drive that even works on these transmissions. Transman, on this 01M, i used almost, but not quite 4 liters, so thanks for your help on that. ;D this repair made me feel good, as he had already gotten 3 mechanics to try to find the problem, with no results. that feeling is priceless :ROFL

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Great Job! This is the news we love to hear! Thanks for posting your results.
Most guys get hung up on the VW part and forget it's just nuts and bolts holding it together like any other car on the road. Really Good Work, Transman