What is the best set of computer-based manuals for a shop?

gemlog

I really hope that is not like going to a geek site and asking for the best programming language or text editor! As you may have guessed, I'm about as far from a mechanic as you can get.

A friend of mine has a one-man shop with two hoists. He finds that he pretty much has to buy some electronic version of manuals.

The friendly, neighborhood Mitchell salesman has been around, but I know there must be others who compete with them with prices like $5,000 to buy a data set! Those kind of prices are livable for him, I just wanted to research what was out there for him.

This site: hxxp: www. trustmymechanic. com/manuals. html talks about several, but they are all online. My friend doesn't want to use the online version as he thinks is just another thing that can go wrong (our local internet service) and strand him when he needs a manual. That's why subscription is out for him. Dunno how he'll receive TSBs etc. buying the data set outright?

He's about my age, so he probably has about 30 yrs experience (dunno if that's relevant). Also, he does use a linux computer at home for web, email and the odd game with kids. My point is that if one is slightly more difficult to use, but has better data, then that should not sway you from recommending it for him.

So! What do you guys use in your own shops (or work places)? What features are good to have?

Ford_Dude

wrench
I have used Mitchell on demand and Alldata.
Mitchell I like for wiring diagrams and Alldata for general repair info. Trying to talk our boss in to alldata, but it hasn't happened yet. If your buddy would like to cruise the site he can get an idea of what alldata has to offer.

Ford_Dude

gemlog

Re: What is the best set of computer-based manuals for a shop? -- Fixed

Thanks very much Ford_Dude!

I guess I didn't find you guys fast enough though -- I just got back from having supper with that family and he had gone ahead and done the Mitchell thing already since the last time I spoke with him the other day.

I will mark this thread fixed, and thanks again.

And a happy Christmass too!

edit: I can't modify the original post for 'fixed'

Ford_Dude

wrench
Mitchell has great wiring diagrams, I like the fact that you can highlight a certain wire. Not to mention the fact that they color the wires different. Its a good program and it should work out well for him.

Merry Christmas,
Ford_Dude

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Just an add here, I don't recommend the data disc versions. Online works better and updates are instant as are corrections. Grant you, they aren't "Owned" but the info is much more current. I also recommend a "tech Service" like MEA (www.meatraining.com). Reasonable fee and they have real classes online (included) or visit their training center in Zoo Jersey for full courses. Just a phone call on the headache cars and they can run you right to the cause. Good Luck to your Friend, Transman

2POINTautO

Wow, sorry I missed out on this thread. So for any future interests, I have a MOD 2005 DVD set available at a great deal for anyone checking archives. OF course this would be for shops that do not work on brand new still in warantee cars.