wheel bearing type noise

jd2

My hearing is no good, even if I can hear the noise, I can't tell where it is coming from. The vehicle is a 2K Honda Accord, not sure about engine size, the boy says it sounds like a wheel bearing, he says, the noise seems to be coming from the right rear. He rotated the tires, no change. He jacked-up each individual tire, rotated and tried to wiggle, didn't hear or feel anything. He changed out the right rear wheel bearing assembly, no change, still has the same noise.

I'm not sure what it might be, I hate trying to diagnose noises, I can't even hear what he hears. I looked up TSBs for this vehicle, didn't see anything that might help.

I thought about trying to rotate the brake caliper, but, I don't have anything right in front of me, on that brake system?

He doesn't want to replace every wheel bearing on the vehicle, not sure it is a wheel bearing, making the noise. He said he could put it into neutral at highway speed and the noise doesn't change. He thought it might be a halfshaft making the noise? I'm out of ideas, any thoughts? thanks

Paul

I'm The Decider
How many miles on the tires?I find Honda's transmit a fair amount of road noise even with new tires.

jd2

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure, how many miles, on the tires. If I remember correctly, they looked worn, the last time I saw them. We don't live in the same town. The first thing I suggested was to rotate the tires and see if the noise followed the tire, he said the noise still seemed to be coming from the right rear, after tire rotation. I thought about telling him, to put the spare on the ground at the four corners, for testing purposes, to see if the noise changes. I don't know? I don't think he has the money for new tires, right now. That may be what he needs. thanks

jd2

I did find TSBs related to rear wheel bearing noise on Honda Accord, but the years were 97--98--99, I didn't see one for the 2K model. I guess it isn't too far a reach, to think they might have used a 99 rear wheel bearing assembly on a 2K model.

The bulletins did list diagnostic procedures, I guess I'll pass those along. I realise, the noise might not even be a wheel bearing. thanks