Wheel lug nut torque

twicelow

Vehicle: '11 Chevy Equinox, 2.4 l engine, disc brakes all around, 17 inch wheels, 7/8" hex lug nuts. The manual says the wheel lug nut torque is 140 lb. ft. At my first tire rotation (10K miles), I was able to loosen the wheel nuts with the tire changing wheel wrench that came with the vehicle. The wrench is pretty puny (maybe 14 inches long). I would venture to say that maybe the nuts were torqued to 100 lb. ft. max. After rotating the tires, I torqued the lug nuts to 100 lb. ft. with my 150 lb. ft. capacity 1/2 " square drive torque wrench. As a test, I had a very hard time trying to loosen them with the vehicle supplied wrench. That's how I arrived at the 100 lb. ft. max. guesstimate. I didn't want to torque to the 140 figure for fear of overtorquing or warping a rotor, etc. Several questions: 1) Is the 140 figure right? 2) If it is, how did it leave the factory with maybe 100? 3) I put on 10k miles without any problems with only 100 lb. ft. from the factory. Did it loosen to 100? 4) If I torque them to 140 lb.ft. and have a flat out in the boonies, how in the world would I ever loosen them with that puny wrench? Do I need to take along my 150 lb.ft torque wrench and a deep 7/8" socket? Any inputs/observation/ideas would be welcome.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
You might have read it wrong....it says 140 NM..or 100 FT. LBS...that is what Alldata shows......hope this helps....Jim

twicelow

Thanks Jim for the response. I'm looking on page 12-3 of the 2011 Equinox manual that came with the vehicle and it says: 190 N-m or 140 lb ft. Maybe they made a mistake in the manual (it won't be the first time). Because like I said I figured it was around 100, which would track the Alldata figure. It makes more sense, all the cars I have had 100 for the torque. My Class C motorhome (E350 chassis, with 16 inch dualies, does require 140 lb. ft). I'm sure glad I didn't try to torque to 140.

NickD

wrench
Already bent the hell out of those cheap jack handle socketed wrenches trying to remove lugs nuts on the road. Been a long time bad joke. Sounds like they still are a bad joke.

The next bad joke is the compact spare, only good for 50 miles so watch where you are driving. If that isn't bad enough, looked at a Cruze Eco, no spare at all, just tossed in a can of spray that only works with a pin hole. Asked about buying a spare, was a hundred bucks extra, but only could get it with an automatic transmission that I didn't want. So I didn't buy it, looked at the 2LT in the 2011 models, was only available with an AT, didn't want that either.

2012 2LT's models came with a MT and that compact spare, so purchased one of those, I like having at least something. OnStar is a bad joke also, if any trees are around, we are at 22* satellite reception, and don't get anything if a tree is around, same with XM radio. Wife and I like to go to areas also without cell phone reception. So at least I have a spare, but know if I have to use it, will bend that cheapass jack handle.