Make
Nissan
Model
Titan
Year
Miles
Engine
V8 flex fuel
I need help to determine which ngk spark plug I need for this truck. The owners manual shows dilfr5a-11d. The Nissan parts site shows plfr5a-11 which is the same plug they show for the non flex fuel engine, so I don’t think the number is correct.
Thanks stevem

stevem

I need help to determine which ngk spark plug I need for this truck. The owners manual shows dilfr5a-11d. The Nissan parts site shows plfr5a-11 which is the same plug they show for the non flex fuel engine, so I don’t think the number is correct.
Thanks stevem
I look like it will be ngk 98376.

NickD

wrench
Every major spark plug manufacturer has an application book on the net, asks for year, make, model, and engine.

stevem

thanks NickD.

The ngk 98376 laser irdium spark plug is listed as OE and Rockauto has it for $11.85 each.
The ngk 96355 ruthenium hx is also listed for this truck, but it is not an OE plug. Rockauto is $8.32 each.

Have any of you used a ruthenium hx plug and is it a good replacement for an OE plug?

stevem

NickD

wrench
Pure copper, platinum, iridium, and now ruthenium compounds that is a hardener for platinum when the major cause of a misfire is too large of a spark gap. A coil is quickly energize by a current that makes a magnetic field, with only a given amount of energy measured in joules, the product of current and voltage. With a large gap, the trigger voltage goes way up, but the current decreases resulting in a weak spark easily blown away by combustion turbulence.

And this is regardless of the type of material used, one area where BS is predominate. Been gaping my plugs at 0.25" maximum for a far superior blow proof spark.

Another key cause of spark failure is carbon buildup on the center electrode ceramic insulator, don't hear much about this, not even mentioned, but deals with the porosity of the ceramic. This creates a low resistance from the center electrode to the metal shell that is ground, shorting that voltage out taking away a good share of energy to produce that spark.

Only to solve this problem is to purchase fuel without carbon in it. I pull my plugs every 15K miles and clean them with a walnut shell blaster. Sand is way too mean.

Now with copper plugs, had to file the center electrode and ground flat and regap the plugs, could only do this twice and in the trashcan they go. But with iridium, gap remains constant, so don't fool with the filing. do this at 15k, 30K, but at 45K, that is almost twice around the world, pitch them. Another problem is practically all plugs have carbon resistors in them, that high voltage breaks this carbon up and the resistance skyrockets, can be checked with an ohmmeter, typical values are in the 2K ohm range.

Thanks to PVC being recirculated through the throttle body, crap prevents the valve from closing in particular by throttle by wire, and some people are too stupid to kill the ignition and die. Also coats the fuel injectors with crap, and yes the spark plug. Gather the dingbats that make these rules, in the EPA never heard about routing this crap to the catalytic converter. Been working not with but for the EPA since 1972 until my retirement three years ago. Talk about egotistical idiots that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground that are making the rules.

Improving the metal used in the electrodes is only one minor factor in a spark plug, and in some cases, a waste of money.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Have any of you used a ruthenium hx plug and is it a good replacement for an OE plug?
Why not, you may have to swap it out earlier, but that is a good thing.

Ppl now days tend to listen to plugs doing 160 k km's, ford suffers from this cuz they want a maintenance free fleet. But when comes auction, dont buy a used car from ford.

My $.02 and it is worth every penny when it comes to opinions are like arseholes. Every one has one.

NickD

wrench
Ha, if you are installing a steel shell spark plug in an aluminum head engine and leave it in for 160KM, you may never get it out. Always current flowing from that spark plug metal shell to that aluminum head that is a form of electrolysis that seals the two dissimilar metals together.

Another problem with extended shell threads so go into the combustion chamber will have a rock hard carbon buildup that you may never get out without wrecking something.

Vehicle manufacturers should advertise, if you want problem, we have problems.