Make
Toyota
Model
Sienna
Year
Miles
Engine
3.3L V6
I am seeking to repair the rust under the windshield under the roof.

I want to weld in a panel, but I don't know what it is called.

I found a part called "windshield header" (Toyota 63102-AE010) but I am unclear if this is the part the windshield rests upon.

Can this be repaired? Is there a part or does new metal need to be formed?

Attachments

JackC

wrench
That is some serious rust. You could consider cutting out the part you need from a doner car at a wrecking yard.

This is a 13 year old vehicle. You might do what I have done on 25 or 30 such jobs. This may not sound as professional as what you want to do but it is quite successful.

Remove all the rusted part and reconstruct with fiberglass. It can absolutely never rust again. And is very inexpensive.

cswanson

Thank you all for your input. I was hoping it wasn't the roof panel, but alas it is.

However, the fiberglass solution is great. I never worked with it, but since I am not worried how it looks, this is a great suggestion.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
that for sure, is a goner. have you heard of rust inhibitor for window installers?. They run into this every day. Some kind of black stuff, it actually works, for for the sake of it, cant remember the darn name

shyte, forget I even tried, I call those things the little miracle pom pom things. Obviously, need product. :cool:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Julie at work hooks up jimmy and others, and when I want to go, she just says stay out of my part room or else. Apparently, I am like a bull in the china shop when it comes to inventory. :eek:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yep, use fiber-glass. It will not only seal it, but provide some real structural strength. You could even use kevlar/carbon cloth for "better than new" strength/stiffness. Use polyester resin (vinyl ester is the best) and not epoxy. Polyester is a lot easier to work with and a lot less expensive. Swish the brush you use in some acetone and then just wipe it off with a paper towel; the brush can be re-used many, many times! It is amazing how "poor" a cleaning job you can do on the brush and have it be fine. I just discovered this in the last few years, was throwing away brushes after every use for the previous 60 years. Live and learn...

PS: you will never get all that rust out of there, just try to "encapsulate" it so no more moisture can get in keep the rusting process going.

JackC

wrench
I forgot to say that I always use Rust-Mort by SEM, stops rust dead prior to the fiberglass repair. It is a clear liquid that is applied and turns rust into a hard black surface.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, there are many of those "naval jelly" type products with phosphoric acid to convert the iron oxide to iron phosphate. It sure can't hurt anything to apply that to the area first, but I think it should be rinsed off (and dried) well before the 'glassing.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
It sure can't hurt anything to apply that to the area first,
Thx bill, that was pretty much it.

Cheap, and may help in the initial whatever you just said, iron molecules swapping or something I am just too stupid or lazy to get. I don't even know if I would attempt something of this type, knowing provenance and seeing the degree of OMG, ,

my question is, is the whole shebang worth the salt the thing is slowly turning into? AT other nick, now is the time to say,

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.