Windshield Rust Repair

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
can someone actually buy me a ticket to North korea, might be a safer place for me right now, cuz now, for some reason, I have a "place in front of enemy FORWARD type deal"

There must be some guys who went to cadet school, guess they just had to make that one embossed on the front the damn thing your trying to fix.

NickD

wrench
That is a lot worse than my kids 90 T-Bird, paid a guy to remove the windshield, I am not good at that. Was all surface rust, sanded, undercoat, and Duplicolor auto paint. Guy came back and installed the windshield.

Has that special applicator for a neat bead around the windshield and skill. Looks like your bead dried up letting salt water get inside, surprise the windshield didn't fall off.

Didn't anyone tell you when you new car warranty wears out suppose to buy a new one! Dealers are always telling me that, even well before the warranty runs out.

On my kids car, water dripped under the windshield, by capillary action flowed along the inside edge and dripped inside the windshield wiper electronics turning them on. Kid would wake up to a dead battery. Talk about one problem leading to another.

JackC

wrench
Just some more ideas that may be helpful.

It has been well over 35 years since I did the above described repairs. I now recall that I used 2" fiberglass drywall self adhering tape and bondo for my "fiberglass" repair. It was fast, not messy, and easy to do. Again, not too professional but it worked. I never had a failure, but of course these were all old cars and the repair probably outlived the rest of the car.

If I needed to insert metal I would pop rivet it in place. I did not have any welding equipment in the shop.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
"encapsulate"
I took me five beers, 6 posts to get that idea across.

That was EXACTLY the word I was looking for all along. I learn english more and more here everyday.

The product I was trying to refer to, which I think Jackc nailed does exactly that. It has a chemical reaction to rust, and since I am not university learned, those types of words do not come easy to me. But it just keep moisture out to help prevent oxidation. What they put into that stuff is probably in a datasheet I will probably look up later.

Thx billr.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Not into the ouzo yet, but astronauts encapsulate upon re entry. See, I learn fast:D.

Happy new yr to my favorite guys here.

Yeah, the older ones. ;) When you have been retired longer than I have been working, you all merit respect. Oh, and most of all, happiness with loved ones in the next yr.