Make
Pontiac
Model
G3
Year
Miles
87km
Engine
Got a car that starts from jumping at starter relay socket, but no crank at ign key I’m thinking neutral safety switch. Suggestions??

Most common problem with these things is so-called anti-theft, far more effective in keeping the rightful owner from starting his vehicle than a thief.

Key has a chip in it that has to communicate with a sensor in the lock to start the vehicle, but guys don't fool with this, just use a flat bed truck to take what they want or hold a gun to your head. What caused this is the huge price increase with replacement parts, the VIN in the vehicle is destroyed.

Seen some of my stuff that cost less than a buck to manufacture on dealers shelves for around 150 bucks, this is practically criminal and means to buy a new vehicle than repair an old is cheaper. Some guys spend over $150,000.00 to have an old car repaired. Ha, may bring back memories of your first date, but you are still older than hell.

Do a net search on "Pontiac G3 2010 Anti-theft"

Anti-thief circuits have proven to be not very effective against a flat bed truck or someone holding a gun to your head. They typically give owners trouble when their vehicle ages when if someone does steal it, would be doing you favor. Then they would have all of your troubles.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is a pcm grounded circuit, you can bypass that.

But if you want to keep it stock, what is preventing you from taking purple wire to resistor and just fooling the VTD (vehicle theft deterrent)?

GMC guy

What
This is a pcm grounded circuit, you can bypass that.

But if you want to keep it stock, what is preventing you from taking purple wire to resistor and just fooling the VTD (vehicle theft deterrent)?
What purple wire? What resistor?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
What purple wire? What resistor?
Sorry, as usual, late to the game on my part. My initial intention of that post was just to say, with most passlock III systems, you can introduce a resistor in the circuit when VTD goes south.

I do believe a 2010 G3 is pk3, but I may be wrong. Pro Demand is not wiring friendly for this car, in fact, no wiring at all can be found. But alldata proved me wrong, finally found a wiring for the car, this is a korean car we don't see much up here. So in my ever increasing insecurity , I have been on vacay since the 25, should not have posted on this thread not being close to a data base.

Plz disregard post about pu?purple and yellow, NOT pertinant to this antitheft car system.

I did however find a TSB for the wave/g3/canada, intermittent no start due to immobilizer. But that entails a new calibration of the module.

So, this is me as usual, trying to help, but not thinking it through. :mad:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@GRC, I must thank you again, for catching my glitch. I am sometimes a hard guy to follow. This site needs more ppl like you.

My head space sometimes becomes very small, and then I go off on a tangent I don't know how to get out of, I see too many cars in a week, things get confused.

This trade is very rewarding, but sometimes, the details of it all get soooo discombobulated, I get just like the previous very hard to write word. ;):coffee:

This may work:

Or go to youtube.com and plug this in the search block.

GM passlock 3 PK3 factory anti theft immobilozer bypass fix

Or according to some just take your Pontiac to a Chevy dealer with 150 bucks in your pocket, you may never find a Pontiac dealer.

Earlier systems used a fix resistor in the key that had to make an electrical contact, resistor would output a narrow voltage a comparator would look at, problem in the lock would not make contact, could get some debris in there.

Passlock III reads a code in a module located in the key head. Takes three 10 minute segments to read the new key code with 10 second cutoffs in between. Need a stop watch.

GMC guy

Ok ok...before you all get too carried away. The car fired the fuel pump, injectors and ignition with an ecm for an automatic tranny. Mine is 5 spd manual. The ecm is looking for the neutral safety switch, which my car doesn’t have. It has a clutch switch. I’ve tried two other ecm. They did nothing. No fuel pump, injectors or ignition. Was I wrong to toss em?

GMC guy

Anyone know what relay or fuse provides power to the speedometer and or vss on this vehicle? I changed the vss and still no speedometer function. Thank you in advance