wrench
Make
chrysler
Model
pt cruiser
Year
Miles
Engine
Hey guys...I have a dumb question..lol...I replaced the timing belt on a 2004 pt cruiser,non turbo.it was running fine before..just leaky water pump,changed that and the belt.now it starts right up but doesn't want to idle..if i give it a little gas it will idle fine and it runs fine just wants to die if I let off the gas.I don't hear any vacuum leaks, but I can't hear that good..old age...lol...i am just wandering if I have the belt a tooth off if it would do this...don't really want to take it all apart unless I have to...thanks ....Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
Take compression readings, if they are low the valve timing is suspect. Note that the opposite is not necessarily true: good compression doesn't ensure the valve timing is OK.

If a vacuum leak is big, it doesn't make much noise, so that is certainly still a possibility.

JackC

wrench
Jim: Knowing you have been around here for years and are pretty professional, I would say it would be a huge coincidence that something other than what YOU did is the problem. Therefore I would be very suspect of the timing being "OFF".

I like all of Bill's ideas. Perhaps putting a vac gauge on will tell you more.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Wow, last time I did a neon/pt t belt was while ago, and I am 45 now. We just dont see those anymore, they rusted out a long time ago and happily, we dont see these pos cars in our bays anymore. ;)

I found those hard to do on a good day. Jim, the fact that you got her done is amazing, but yeah, me also think a vac gauge should confirm, you r off a tooth or so. So GRC and I are betting. :cool:$.02

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Thanks guys...I will let you know...Jim...yeah Nick...they are a pos...I actually bought this from my neighbor for $200.00..thought I would do the timing belt and water pump and make a couple bucks...They are a real pain....I bet I never do another one...LOL.....Jim

NickD

wrench
Who invented the timing belt, some guy mad at the world, very limited lubricated tensioner and idler pulleys and in an interference engine? Most just have a dust cover that is more like a dust collector. Ha, if I didn't like my 88 Supra so much would have dumped it a long time ago.

Ford ZX7 was the worst, no timing marks, needed special tools, but did TDC on the harmonic balancer. That was really a chore, radiator, alternator, AC compressor, PS pump and all that turbo stuff had to be removed. Good thing, both the tensioner and idler pulleys were dry. Not easy to find Made in USA or even Japan, no way in hell would I used bearings from China.

To be absolutely sure of no screw ups, had to reinstalled the harmonic balancer dead sure at TDC were pinholes on the camshaft gears, used an electric drill, Also replaced the crankshaft and camshafts seal, don't want oil leaking on that belt. Painted white strips by the two camshaft marks, and by the TDC, Transferred those marks on the new belt, also identifying front from back, so the new belt went exactly on as the old belt.

Ended up perfect, sure did not want to repeat this job. With FWD vehicles no clearance between the timing belt and the inner fender, so could not see the whole picture like you could in the shop manual.