wrench
Make
VW
Model
Golf
Year
Miles
Engine
Hey guys it's been awhile since I have been on here....hope everybody is doing ok....I hope somebody can help me figure this thing out...So it came i here running ok..He wanted me to change thermostat and a few other things...anyway I thought the thermostat was at the end of the upper hose on the rear of the engine so I pulled the hose off and lost coolant all down the block...wasn't there put it back on and found out it was at the end of the lower hose...pulled it off lost more coolant...replaced the thermostat..got it back together and it just cranks over and won't start...I sprayed a little starting fluid in the intake and it started and died...I pulled codes and get an engine speed sensor code...I am thinking it had something to do with me loosing coolant down the block...don't know...I think it was a PO727...would a bad speed sensor let it start with starting fluid?....hope somebody knows where I screwed it up...lol.....thanks for the help....Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, I think all kinds of things could be wrong and a diesel would still fire briefly with starting-fluid.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Like Bill said...it doesn't need "spark" to run. But the fuel pump might not turn on if the engine speed sensor has no output.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Try just cleaning out the connector pins with some brake cleaner and put some dielectric in there. Might halp cuz above is correct, will fire, don't need spark. BUT ecu does needs that input cuz it is a direct injection, so it needs that info for timing etc. ECU wont know when to inject if it does not know TDC etc. You might want to look at the connector gasket. If it let seep in coolant, it will let in water also later on. 2012-06-14_162622_rpm.jpg

BTW, happy new year jim. ;)

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Jim, is short and sweet as usual. Cool, you got her done. :fixed:

For you Jim, this is my 2020 song for you. ;) Plz listen, you have been there for me for a long time. I learned a lot from you. It is time I said thank you. This is the only way I know how, besides coming down to the states and breaking many laws. :p:D:eek:

Last edited: