Wow as of 2009 it is illegal to install a required carb-

Alice

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Mazda
MODEL: B3000 SEV6
YEAR
:1998
MILES: 193000
ENGINE
:3.0
DESCRIBE ISSUE....2 of my catalytic converters are showing up on the computer (my check engine light is on) a friend said 2 catalytic converters, when I pulled this up at "Carb Converters" last updated 4/1/16 - it shows me 4. I don't know which two are bad. ( I saw the price of these guys - $440. each probably not including tax and definitely not including labor.)
What should I do? Save the truck or buy another. I deliver pizzas for a living. Fun job, love it. The truck is running well, I've replaced many items and added Lucas recently and stopped the rattling.

NickD

wrench
Been very particular with my vehicles, not only mine, but kids, friends, and relatives in keeping the vehicles in good tune since 1972 when these after the fact emission control devices called the catalytic converter became the law of the land. Never had a cat failure since.

Concept of the IC engine has not changed for the last 125 years, still burning carbon that is highly conductive in shorting out spark plugs, clean or replace them at a maximum of 15,000 miles, and pour in a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank every 5,000 miles. Plugged injectors can also cause a misfire. Introduction of the O2 sensor in the early 80's made this worse. With one misfire, sees extra oxygen, its so stupid thinks the engine is running lean so enriches all the cylinders, truly a self destructive machine. Adding a ton of electronics made it worse, the, more crap you have the more that can go wrong.

If it ain't there, don't have problems with it.

In the USA, is legal to both advertise and sell catalytic bypass kits, but a $40,000 fine if caught installing one. We do have other fuels like natural gas and methane with a far lower carbon content, but rather would have wars to use crude oil. Matter of fact, a well known 12,000 year supply of methane. But also have an oil controlled congress. Could waste your time and write letters to your congressman, but they are so ignorant in the sciences, won't even know what you are talking about.

In the last 30 years, the replacement costs for parts became outrageous, want us to trade it in for a new one. Youngest daughter just starting off in her life paid $13,000, well plus a bunch of tax for a 2015 Kia Soul base model. I just looked up the retail prices just for that stupid exhaust system from the engine back to the rear bumper, list prices were close to 3,000 bucks and this would be plus labor! But could get by with $2,000 using the lowest internet prices and doing the work your self. But 2,000 bucks for a pipe that exposed to all kinds of road debris and road salt? And one spark plug misfire can wreck the cat?

Ha, could replace the entire exhaust system for a Model A Ford back in the 60's for eight bucks, this is how this country has changed.

kev2

wrench
Alice- would help us help you if you could post the codes, also any issues or problems as they may contributed .
Scans are often FREE at many auto parts stores autozone, advance auto et al. just get the code #s post them someone will advise.
Are you in la la land or somewhere where reasonable with emission issues - might be a work around....

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yep, give us the codes and your location. Please, do not start "throwing parts at it". A trouble-code only points to a circuit, not a specific part. the problem could be as simple (and inexpensive) as a poor wire connection. Do you have an electrical multimeter and the skills to use it?

By the way, "carb" is the common short name for a carburetor, a very, very different device than a catalytic-converter. It is almost-certain you '98 doesn't use a carb at all, much less four! Disregard any references or advice that relate to carbs.

NickD

wrench
Need something like this to test your cats, measures exhaust back pressure.

Codes can be very misleading, no substitute for brains and external test equipment to determine a defective component.

Alice

Need something like this to test your cats, measures exhaust back pressure.

Codes can be very misleading, no substitute for brains and external test equipment to determine a defective component.
Thank you!!
I'll research how to use this device on my Mazda. I've replaced quite a few parts on the fuel system, so it is very possible the catalytic converters became too hot.

Alice

Been very particular with my vehicles, not only mine, but kids, friends, and relatives in keeping the vehicles in good tune since 1972 when these after the fact emission control devices called the catalytic converter became the law of the land. Never had a cat failure since.

Concept of the IC engine has not changed for the last 125 years, still burning carbon that is highly conductive in shorting out spark plugs, clean or replace them at a maximum of 15,000 miles, and pour in a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank every 5,000 miles. Plugged injectors can also cause a misfire. Introduction of the O2 sensor in the early 80's made this worse. With one misfire, sees extra oxygen, its so stupid thinks the engine is running lean so enriches all the cylinders, truly a self destructive machine. Adding a ton of electronics made it worse, the, more crap you have the more that can go wrong.

If it ain't there, don't have problems with it.

In the USA, is legal to both advertise and sell catalytic bypass kits, but a $40,000 fine if caught installing one. We do have other fuels like natural gas and methane with a far lower carbon content, but rather would have wars to use crude oil. Matter of fact, a well known 12,000 year supply of methane. But also have an oil controlled congress. Could waste your time and write letters to your congressman, but they are so ignorant in the sciences, won't even know what you are talking about.

In the last 30 years, the replacement costs for parts became outrageous, want us to trade it in for a new one. Youngest daughter just starting off in her life paid $13,000, well plus a bunch of tax for a 2015 Kia Soul base model. I just looked up the retail prices just for that stupid exhaust system from the engine back to the rear bumper, list prices were close to 3,000 bucks and this would be plus labor! But could get by with $2,000 using the lowest internet prices and doing the work your self. But 2,000 bucks for a pipe that exposed to all kinds of road debris and road salt? And one spark plug misfire can wreck the cat?

Ha, could replace the entire exhaust system for a Model A Ford back in the 60's for eight bucks, this is how this country has changed.
Yeah inflation they call it

Alice

Yep, give us the codes and your location. Please, do not start "throwing parts at it". A trouble-code only points to a circuit, not a specific part. the problem could be as simple (and inexpensive) as a poor wire connection. Do you have an electrical multimeter and the skills to use it?

By the way, "carb" is the common short name for a carburetor, a very, very different device than a catalytic-converter. It is almost-certain you '98 doesn't use a carb at all, much less four! Disregard any references or advice that relate to carbs.
Nah the article I read concerning catalytic converters called the converters "Carb catalytic converters" The company is called Carb Converters

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, now I get it. The California Air Resources Board is usually abbreviated as CARB; not carb, or Carb, but let's not quibble, I should have been able to make sense of it. That's the agency that has to approve what emissions-related components can be used on a vehicle in California. Is that where you are, CA? How about the codes, those are still crucial in being able to advise you.

NickD

wrench
This is all I am finding for a catalytic converter for you vehicle. !63 bucks, C.A.R.B approved at rockauto.com

Has flanges on either side, use both nuts and bolts that are easy to cut off. Some bolt directly in the threaded flanges, just drill those out and use a nut, break off anyway, because of all this damn road salt. Other reasons to remove a cat besides replacing it, its in the way of other stuff.

Ha, if it wasn't for the internet, wouldn't be driving my 88 Supra Turbo, Toyota dealer wants both arms and legs for replacement parts, still can find a lot of stuff off the net.

Daughter's Kia Soul base model did not have cruise, found the switch she needed on the net for 15 bucks, now she has cruise, dash and everything light ups. Her dealer said this cannot be done, want you to pay 3,500 bucks for the next highest model with a bunch of crap you don't need or want or can afford to get cruise. Gotta have this with all these 9/11 cops running around, bet they would run the other way if a terrorist did come, but sure like to issue speeding tickets, like doing 28 in a 25.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
At the risk of repeating myself again, I have never, EVER seen a car or truck with four cats.

Simply does not exist and never will.

You can talk about a quad cat, which is a four way catalyst. Mostly seen in diesel engines. But becoming more available the the emmision laws become stringent.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@billr, I don't think we are quibbling. I think of more like educating. You are probably one of the most smart guy's here.

Some trucks like ford f series have 4 cats and completely useless. I just re read my last post and I was erroneous by saying they don't exist. But I will stand by the fact that this type of system is useless. Money trap to say the least.

Some threads talk about magna flow hi flow cats, just two needed. Probably will enhance towing capacity.;)

I tried real hard to remember if I was mixing up two threads, but I think we are still talking about a mazda b3000.

I have never seen and probably never will see a 1998 mazda b3000 with four cats. If somebody is telling you different, seek a different opinion.

So unless I am mentally challenged or don't live in usa California standards, I will never see 4 cats for this truck. Here is a direct fit for a v6 3.0l. Notice, only two cats.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Mazda/B3000/Eastern/Catalytic_Converter/1998/EAST830757.html

Ok, nuff said.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now, you will see o2 sensors. Some engine designs have 4 or more o2 sensors. Pre cat and post cat in some applications. For your model, I think only one post cat. I am not at my place right now, I am typing this from memory.

I will post back tonight once I am done with my GF.

BTW, what makes you think you need to invest for the cat assembly??

I think Billr and kev2 asked this question before.:) It would be sad for you to invest useless cash if only one o2 sensor is out of whack.

What are long term and short term values. What is the scanner telling you?

Check voltages with a DVM if you don't have access to a proper scanner.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Completely forgot to say that you can save the piping and just install universals. Once you back pressure test both banks, you can decide which is the cheapest option.

Just make sure your local tech has good welding skills.

You can go cheap and buy walker uni's or go big and buy magna flo. Really, it's all up to you and your budget and what mileage you expect for the exhaust system and the real life expectancy of this truck.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I was referring to "quibbling" with the OP about the meaning of "carb". I was trying to apologize to the OP for not recognizing "carb" or Carb" as meaning CARB... while still retaining some reasonable excuse for making the mistake and going on about carburetors!