WTF anyone want to guess what that is

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Chrysler
MODEL: 46re
YEAR:
MILES:
ENGINE
:
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... Any ideas what it is - snap ring or shim ? stuck by servo adjuster in photo,

trans has solenoid codes

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
You mean that thing that looks like part of a piston-ring, behind the two small screws? I'm guessing a snap-ring. Are those numbers I'm seeing on it or just damage?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am guessing it is either the low reverse drum snap ring or the low reverse drum thrust washer. Seeing it is so close to the rear servo.

The rear servo ring retainer looks intact, I can see 3 thirds of it on the picture sent.

Screenshot (750).png Screenshot (751).png Screenshot (752).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
IDK, just making assumptions. But I can see a broken part of the tang for the snap ring where the pliers go. It most definitely is a retaining ring of sorts. The indent for the pliers is what gives it away. Now which one in the whole tranny is it, IDK, but you will determine that upon disassembly.

I think THINK the snap ring and thrust washer low reverse drum would have a hard time getting free past the clutches - the arc looks a little two large for the servo -
"I am in over my head here." :giveup:lounge topic

PS: nice blow up and label nick...

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, I am not seeing a tang or notch for snap-ring pliers, but why does it matter what that thing is? There is obviously serious mechanical damage in there, the trans has to come apart. Don't waste time guessing about codes and electrical issues on this one.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yup, have to agree, this is as said, remove, disassemble, repair or replace unit depending on damage seen to internals.

@ Bill, I am looking at the half round indent inside the green circle in the modified snap shot I took. I hope you see it. But as you say, not really important at this point.

Screenshot (754).png

billr

wrench
Staff member
Did you zoom in on the photo? I think that is just crud on the ring, not a rough surface behind it "showing through a notch". Note the shiny end, like the ring broke there...